right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are the chances of getting admitted and even getting a scholarship?

OxiTideArielOxiTideAriel 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited September 17 in International Students
I'm an international student from Egypt.
-My Score in High School is 99.5% (408/410). I don't know how to convert it to the GPA system, but it's the highest score possible in Egypt.
-My SAT score is 1530
-I have IELTS Band 8
-I want to study computer science.
-I have a nanodegree from udacity which is android basics nanodegree.
-I didn't do any SAT subject tests. I can do 3 of them if i will be accepted.
-I can get another nanodegree from udacity if it's worth it.
-I also have made some simple android apps like an alarm , to.do , note etc.
-I have never volunteered. what I have done is reading programming books then forgetting them :smiley:
I need to know what my chances of getting a scholarship are.
It doesn't have to be in the USA. I mean any scholarship.
because the application fees are very expensive here in Egypt. (75 usd for each Uni = 1,224 egp which is a lot).
and the fees for SAT Subject Tests are also a lot.
If I can get admitted to ( University of Chicago , Stanford University , University of Pennsylvania or Harvard University), I will get an Egyptian scholarship so i won't need any financial aid from the university. there are also scholarships in Singapore, Turkey and a good university in the middle east but I really need to know my chances, as the process is very expensive to me.
should i wait until i finish my undergraduate studies then apply for a masters scholarship or what?
edited September 17
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are the chances of getting admitted and even getting a scholarship?

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2208 replies36 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Application fees to American universities fall in the $75 USD range as well, more or less.

I can only address scholarships in the US, not world-wide. Small scholarships are plentiful. Large or full scholarships are rare, especially for international students without national or international awards. By small, I mean scholarships of $1,000 dollars or so. It is a lot of money on its own, but the cost of attendance at the colleges you listed run around $70,000 per year. Colleges like to brag about how much financial aid they give, and parents like to brag that their kid got a scholarship.

You have to go on each college's web pages to check admissions requirements. Some require SAT 2 tests. If that is the case, your application will not be considered complete without them. Taking them later is not an option, so you want to know that before you apply.

Udacity is probably not helpful in admissions. For-profit schools don't get much respect in the US. It is considered desirable to have something on your application that shows you care about people or causes other than yourself. Volunteering is the usual way to do that, but not the only way.

Cast a wide net. Be sure to apply to schools in your own country.
    · Reply · Share
  • OxiTideArielOxiTideAriel 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thanks very much for your replay.
    The scholarship, I am talking about above, is full(It literally covers everything even the airline tickets) and is provided by an Egyptian foundation and the only requirement is to get admission in theses universities in particular. therefore my only concern is whether I will be admitted in theses universities or not.
    I really need a number like "you will be admitted by 50%" so that I can convince my parents to make a move.
    if it's worth it, I will take three SAT subject test and apply next year.
    I have already been admitted to an Egyptian University but I really want to study abroad(because life here is extremely limited.) I have seen some threads here and I saw students with very high stats so I guess my chances are very low.
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10234 replies175 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I really need a number like "you will be admitted by 50%" so that I can convince my parents to make a move.
    If you need a number as a guideline, use the published admission rate. Almost all applicants to the tippy top universities are academically qualified to attend and there just aren't enough spots to go around.

What I see in your post is a stellar high school academic record. Alas, your academics aren't strong enough to stand out on their own at a place like Harvard (e.g. you don't have awards from prestigious academic competitions or done work several years ahead of your age) and you haven't described a compelling non-academic venture either. That puts your application in the "just another strong student" pile, where there's a lot of competition for not very many spots.

I agree with Groundwork2022 that another Udacity credential probably won't add much to your application. Non-coursework activities that build on your current skill set (e.g. writing & publishing an app, participating in programming competitions) or success in an unrelated extra-curricular activity would be more likely to make a difference.
    should i wait until i finish my undergraduate studies then apply for a masters scholarship or what?
    There's not a whole lot of funding opportunities for Master's students, but there are for PhD candidates. Many American PhD programs have more international students than American students.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29411 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can look up what the acceptance rates are at the colleges you have in mind. If you have a guaranteed scholarship from Egypt that will pay for the full $80k + per year that some of these schools cost, then you can apply as a pay applicant which will give you roughly what the those acceptance rates say as your chances. If you needed big financial aid, your chances would nearly zero. Instead it is greater than 1%.

If you check out less selective schools— the US has over 3000 undergraduate bachelors degree granting colleges and universities, you can raise your chances considerably.

· Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41872 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    First, you apply through CommonApp : if your family makes less than 45k a year check the box for "fee waiver" (your guidance counselor should check it too) so you don't have to pay the application fees.

Second, you won't apply for financial aid to the universities you listed so your chances go from near zero to about 3% (except Harvard). Most American applicants know the odds, even if they don't fully realize they are competing with the entire world. The only way to get in is to apply. Your stats are stellar and if your essays are good then you may be lucky.

In addition, there are merit scholarships for your scores. Apply by October 15 to App State, College of Charleston, Iowa State, UUtah, Pitt, Miami Ohio, UT- Dallas, University of New Mexico. They're all on commonapp and should honor the fee waiver. Your topnotch sat score gives you a very high chance of admission and scholarship.
    · Reply · Share