right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Please rate my chances and recommend me some Universities for my stats.

pranshunagar01pranshunagar01 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hey College Confidential community,

I am an international student and will be applying to universities in US for Fall 2020.

My stats are as follows :

SAT - 1400 (750 M + 650 R&W)

High School GPA - 4/4 (WES Evaluation)

9th grade - 90 %

10th grade - 96 %

11th grade - 80%

12th grade - 93%

My Extra Curriculars are:

ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT :

Subject Topper in Mathematics (2017-18 and 2018-19)

Awarded the title ‘Hero of the School' for academic excellence in Mathematics. (2015-2017)

Awarded the title ‘Hero of the School' for academic excellence in Science (2015-2017)

Achieved Grade A in ASSET (Assessment of Scholastic Skills through Educational Training) organized by Educational Initiatives. (2015-2017)

Achieved Grade A in KNEUS Scholastic Aptitude Test organized by KNEUS (2016-2018)

Achieved Grade A in Millennium National Scholarship Exam (MEC) organized by Millennium Examination Council. (2017-2018)

PROJECTS:

Physics Investigatory Project (2018-19)

Successfully completed a project on Rectifiers which are used to convert alternating current to direct current and made working versions of half wave and full wave Rectifiers

Chemistry Investigatory Project (2018-19)

Successfully completed a project on sterilization of water using bleaching powder wherein it was required to determine the dosage of bleaching powder required for sterilization or disinfection of different samples of water

Physics Investigatory Project (2017-18)

Successfully completed a project on AC generators which work on the principle of electromagnetic induction due to varying magnetic flux and made a working version of a simple generator at home

Chemistry Investigatory Project (2017-18)

Successfully completed a project on Green Chemistry also known as Sustainable Chemistry that deals with abating pollution at the molecular level

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES:

COURSES AND CERTIFICATIONS:

'Python for Beginners' by edX certificate holder (2019)

'Beginning with Python' by Udemy Certificate holder (2019)

'Introduction to C#’ by edX Certificate (2018)

COMMUNITY SERVICE:

Participated in the school's cleanliness drive campaigns under the aegis of ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’ (a nationwide cleanliness initiative) (2016-2019 )

Participated in the school's environmental awareness campaigns for ‘Plastic Ban’ (2017-2019)

Collected used books and stationery recruiting the help of neighborhood friends for distribution among underprivileged students in a nearby slum area (2017-2019)

Participated in ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’ Campaign (2018-19)

LEADERSHIP ROLES:

Served in the role of school Vice Head Boy (2017-2018)

Served in the role of school Volleyball team captain (2015-2018)

Served in the role of Class Prefect (2013-2019)

Served in the role of team leader of school IT club team which won first place in the IT Quiz held at IIMT University (2017-2019)

Served in the role of team leader of school Spellathon team which won First Prize in Inter School Spellathon held at Somerville School (2018)

Led the school team in the interschool debate competition held at Somerville School (2018)

Led the team in an intra school quiz competition (2016-2018)

Led the school team in Inter School IT Competitions held at ITSE College on National Technology Day (2018)

LITERARY ACHIEVEMENTS:

Participated in interschool debates and elocutions and won prizes (2013-2018)

Participated in interschool Spellathon and won prizes (2016-2018)

Participated in interschool quiz competitions and won prizes (2016-2019)

OLYMPIADS AND TALENT EXAMINATIONS:

Participated in the National Mathematics Olympiad (NIMO) - District Rank 1, State Rank 33. (2016-2017)

Participated in the National Science Olympiad (NISO) - District Rank 1, State Rank 40 (2016-2017)

Participated in the National Science Talent Search Examination (NSTSE) - Grade A (Certificate of Excellence holder) (2018)

Participated in the NASA Astronomy Olympiad (NAO) - Qualified for National level (among the top 500 nationwide) (2015,2016,2017)

Shortlisted for Service Selection Board Interview after clearing UPSC Examinations organized by the Govt. of India (2018, 2019)

Got a Rank of 2300 out of 1.5 million test takers in Joint Entrance Exam of Indian Institute of Technology ( IIT-JEE).

SPORTS/FITNESS:

Captain of the school Volleyball team (2015-2018)

Player on the school Football team (2016-2019)

Awarded the title ‘Athlete of the year’ on the occasion of School Annual Sports Day (2017)

Awarded the title ‘Athlete of the year’ on the occasion of School Annual Sports Day (2018)

Participated in the 100 m sprint event - Gold Medal (School Sports Day - 2017, 2018)

Participated in the 200 m sprint event - Gold Medal (School Sports Day - 2017, 2018)

Participated in the 800 m Relay Race event - Gold Medal (School Sports Day - 2017), Silver Medal (School Sports Day – 2018)

Participated in the Half Marathon event 'Run for Humanity' (a charity run against cancer) organized by Sharda University, Greater Noida (2017, 2018)

Participated in the event ‘Run for Manavta' (a youth charity run) organized by Manavta Trust, New Delhi. (2016,2017,2018)

Participated in the Inter-School Volleyball competition ) organized by Somerville School – First Position (2018-2019)

WORKSHOPS:

Participated in a workshop on ‘Time Management’organized by IMS Noida (2019)

Particpated in a workshop on ‘Emerging Career Options’ organized by Bennett TOI Group (2019)

Paticipated in a workshop on ‘How Computers are used in Treatment of Various Diseases’ organized by SNU Noida (2018,2019)

Participated in a workshop on ‘Actuarial Mathematics’ organized by IIMT Noida (2018,2019)

I would be applying to Universities which provide with with a near full tuition Scholarships like University of Texas Arlington and some other universities.

What are my chances to receive a near full tuition scholarsship at such universities.
Major - Computer Science

Any recommendation of other universities which might give me huge merit award will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Please rate my chances and recommend me some Universities for my stats.

• thumper1thumper1 75183 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    edited November 9
    Is there some compelling reason why you won’t attend college in India where the costs will be more favorable?

Will you be retaking the SAT? Are you a current last year high school student?

How much CAN your family pay for you to attend college?

Your post has two parts...chances for admissions...and places where you will get significant aid.

As an international student, please check what the colleges give international students in terms of merit aid guaranteed.

Please understand that for admissions, your application for admission will be reviewed alongside others from your region...many at least as well qualified as you are for admission.

edited November 9
    · Reply · Share
  • twogirlstwogirls 7321 replies7 threads Senior Member
    I think getting significant merit aid at schools that give it to international students....will be difficult. Many are highly qualified.

Can you attend college in your country?
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29730 replies176 threads Senior Member
    There are a limited number of institutions that guarantee admission and automatic aid for specific stats, and that also extend the offer to international students. You should read up on that topic in the Financial Aid Forum.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84171 replies1035 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion
    edited November 9
    I would be applying to Universities which provide with with a near full tuition Scholarships like University of Texas Arlington and some other universities.

What are my chances to receive a near full tuition scholarsship at such universities.
    Major - Computer Science

When you say full tuition, that still leaves a good bit.

how much will your family pay for the rest? Room, board, fees, books, int’l travel, health insurance, personal expenses?
    edited November 9
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1668 replies10 threads Senior Member
    edited November 9
    twogirls wrote: »
    I think getting significant merit aid at schools that give it to international students....will be difficult. Many are highly qualified.

Can you attend college in your country?

@pranshunagar01 I'm asking the same question. If you are ranked at 2,300 on the IIT-JEE, than you should qualify for one of the IITs, which are mostly better than any almost any college in the USA which would offer you merit money.
    edited November 9
    · Reply · Share
  • pranshunagar01pranshunagar01 2 replies1 threads New Member
    edited November 10
    @MWolf I would be majoring in computer science. But in IITs computer science is given to the students who rank in top 2000. Moreover there are 21 IITs out of which 7 are old IITs which are really good but the rest 14 IITs are either average or below average.

Thanks
    edited November 10
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 9864 replies63 threads Senior Member
    The University of Texas is a state-funded public university.

Where did you get the idea that they would fully fund your education?

Your major is Computer Science which is very competitive but appears to be the choice for many of the international students applying to the US.

It will be a tough go, so the suggestions to search in your home country for your education make sense if you can't pay for an American education.

Unfortunately, international students often believe that funding is limitless for US schools. It is not. Scholarships are very limited.

Also, your list of in-house school awards looks like you are stretching to pad your resume. Every school has school awards-it's called being on the honor roll. Being the top student is called being a valedictorian after 4 years of high school, and there are about 35K of those students in the US. Stating that you were a "participant", says you were there.
    · Reply · Share
  • pranshunagar01pranshunagar01 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Yes, my family would pay for those things
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75183 replies3300 threads Senior Member
    I agree about your resume. I would delete the things you “participated” in. Those show nothing except that you were there.

Look VERY carefully at the colleges you are considering. Make absolutely sure they will give aid to international students.

@texaspg Does UT Arlington give full tuition awards guaranteed to international students?
    · Reply · Share
  • texaspgtexaspg 16515 replies340 threadsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Forum Champion
    @thumper1 I am not certain Texas has any real scholarships for international students outside of instate tuition if they give someone a $1000 scholarship.

I believe at UT Dallas one qualifies for merit scholarships in or out of state but not sure if it covers internationals.
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 416 replies1 threads Member
    @pranshunagar01 have you considered universities in Canada, like Univ. of Waterloo? Has scholarships (and co-op programs) for international students.
    · Reply · Share