right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Lsu out of state

Mk2002Mk2002 23 replies5 threads Junior Member
edited January 14 in Louisiana State University
Does anyone know if LSU is generous with out of state students need based scholarships??
edited January 14
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Lsu out of state

• thumper1thumper1 76074 replies3352 threads Senior Member
    edited January 14
    I believe LSU has some decent merit scholarships that can go to OOS students...but are you really expecting the state of Louisiana taxpayers to give you need based aid when your family doesn’t live in Louisiana?

Did you run the net price calculator for LSU? It’s on their website.

Other threads mention your parents can either pay $10,000 a year...or anything....which is it?

Do you qualify for merit aid there at LSU
    I have a 2.9 UW cumulative gpa at the of my junior year 3.23 W
    1300 sat: 650M 650R
    I am a Hispanic first generation female
    My grades go on a drastic upward trend. Sophomore year I had like a 2.5 and junior year I had a 3.8 UW.

@ucbalumnus what do you know about these awards?
    edited January 14
    · Reply · Share
  • Mk2002Mk2002 23 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @thumper1 i originally thought that my parents were saying 10,000 but after talking to them they said they’re willing to pay 20,000 and then if we need additional money then They’d let me take out a student loan but not exceeding 10,000 but I definitely don’t want to take out loans
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9225 replies344 threads Senior Member
    You can only borrow ~$5500/year, so 8f your parents pay $20k your budget is about $25k. If you work summers you can probably earn another $3k. What's your home state? If you go OOS you'll have to figure in travel expenses.
    · Reply · Share
    @austinmshauri Maryland I’ve looked at travel plane fare is pretty cheap but I’m hoping to hear back from some scholarships fingers crossed that LSU magically gives me some type of merit aid but they probably won’t definitely looking into seeing if I can apply for minority and first generation scholarships
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23648 replies17 threads Senior Member
    I know some of the regional LSU campuses have pretty good merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 84227 replies1040 threadsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Forum Champion
    edited January 15
    Mk2002 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if LSU is generous with out of state students need based scholarships??

Need based? No.
    I have a 2.9 UW cumulative gpa at the of my junior year 3.23 W
    1300 sat: 650M 650R
    I am a Hispanic first generation female
    My grades go on a drastic upward trend. Sophomore year I had like a 2.5 and junior year I had a 3.8 UW.

Did you look at their website to see their merit awards?
    edited January 15
    · Reply · Share
    @mom2collegekids yes I don’t think I qualify for any of them though
    · Reply · Share
  • ssajwa1ssajwa1 14 replies0 threads New Member
    I found this link when I was searching for LSU merit scholarships. It's a year old, so I'm not sure if it's still valid.
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/legislature/article_5ff37ae2-2978-11e8-988c-f3023e6d7a9c.html
    The only two scholarships that I found listed on the LSU site for incoming freshmen is the Stamps and President's Alumni scholars. Our daughter doesn't qualify for either and also doesn't meet the criteria in The Advocate's article.
    Still hoping for some love. We're in Texas and I'm not sure if she'll qualify for Texas Tigers. We received the purple package with the cool popup today, but no information about aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • WDE1994WDE1994 13 replies1 threads New Member
    Hi. My DS is OOS as well and received the very cool admissions letter/pop-up back in late October/November.
    My DS received his initial scholarship offer soon after, but received a purple letter in mid-December that indicated he qualified for the Flagship scholarship.
    My DS will also not qualify for the Stamps or PAS, as mentioned above.
    What is your daughters GPA and ACT/SAT?
    When did she have her application submitted by?

Good luck with everything.
    · Reply · Share
    @WDE1994 we haven’t received anything in the mail but her stats are 2.9 uw 3.3 w with a huge upwards trend took several ap and honors courses 1200 sat and is a minority majoring in a stem field
    · Reply · Share
  • JanbsilJanbsil 20 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Did your merit scholarships come with your initial envelope? There was nothing in ours but the letter that was on line.
    · Reply · Share
    @Janbsil im not sure if this question was addressed to me but no we have not even received the acceptance letter. We’ve only gotten the acceptance online.
    · Reply · Share