right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Lily Wuerth will be live on our Instagram page today at 3pm ET to talk about how she used extracurriculars to get into Georgia Tech. ASK HER ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Cal grant Not awarded! I need your help!!!

ssenke0ssenke0 7 replies2 threads New Member

Hi guys. I applied last November to transfer UCs and I applied for my FAFSA and Cal grant before the deadline as well. I am 24years old and will be 25 this June, filed tax 2018 as 12000$ and 2019 as 7000$, EFC 0 and GPA 3.72. I became a permanent CA resident (green card) on July 18, 2018. I just checked my cal grant status and it says Not Awarded and there is no reason. I am so confused because I meet all the criteria and still get denied and I really need the money to go to college, especially if I cannot go to UCLA because I will need to move out by myself. Need Help guys!!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cal grant Not awarded! I need your help!!!

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 33985 replies4627 threads Super Moderator
    Have you contacted the Financial Aid office to ask about this?
    · Reply · Share
  • NJdad07090NJdad07090 549 replies8 threads Member
    I do not know enough to say if this is unique or not but as Erin's dad says call or email them.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10269 replies70 threads Senior Member
    edited April 1
    The Cal Grant office is very user-friendly; they will answer your questions if you call them and they will direct you to the right resources, so I don’t understand why you’re asking on a webpage that has nothing to do with their offices.
    ANYWAY,
    There are a number of issues that you need to address when discussing continued Cal Grant eligibility including:

-Your GPA Verification Form. It needs to have been completed and confirmed, by the Registrar’s office, at your CC, before the March 2nd deadline.

-Maxing out your funding- You get a TOTAL of 8 semesters of aid. It doesn’t matter how you combine it or use it- either at CCC or at a university, but there is a MAXIMUM, and it CAN be maxed at a CCC. The State of California wants to use their dollars efficiently. I don’t know whether or not you’ve maxed out your funding limits, but the State tries to give you enough opportunities to complete your degree with funding. After that you’re on your own. It’s just not efficient, financially, for them to continue to fund a person who takes too long to get their degree.
    If you’ve used up all of your Cal Grant funding, at a community college, you’re out of luck.

These are just guesses because I personally don’t know your situation, but the people that would fully know are at the Cal Grant office. Don't be afraid to call them; that’s what they’re there for. They are very nice; they walk you through your situation and they’re very helpful. Please be kind to them since this time and world situation is very stressful for them, as well as for you. I don’t know if they have modified hours but you can email them or you can try to call them.
    Visit www.csac.ca.gov or e-mail [email protected]
    “You may also call us toll free at (888) CA GRANT (888-224-7268), Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:45 pm.”

https://www.csac.ca.gov/post/how-do-i-file-appeal

https://www.csac.ca.gov/sites/main/files/file-attachments/g-18_calgrantappealsform_0.pdf?1578693148
    edited April 1
    · Reply · Share
  • jumpinganalyticjumpinganalytic 24 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 13
    @ssenke0 Were you able to find out what happened? I am experiencing the same problem
    edited April 13
    · Reply · Share