right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Lily Wuerth will be live on our Instagram page today at 3pm ET to talk about how she used extracurriculars to get into Georgia Tech. ASK HER ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Effect of accepting admission offer on financial aid

wahoo8895wahoo8895 0 replies2 threads New Member
My son is eager to accept his admissions offer to his first choice school. However, we are currently appealing the financial aid offer. If we go ahead and put down the deposit and accept the offer, will this have a negative effect on our financial aid appeal?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Effect of accepting admission offer on financial aid

• coolguy40coolguy40 2881 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Never commit to anything you can't afford. It never ends well.
    · Reply · Share
  • SarripSarrip 702 replies25 threads Member
    Just say that you win the appeal and more aid is granted for freshman year. My fear in these situations is what will sophomore years aid look like. Suppose you don't win an appeal next year. I have to say that DD20 did get some offers that really made me a little nervous because it appeared that she was being offered much more aid than we believe that we qualify for. If they did not match it for future years we'd be in trouble and would either have to take out loans or transfer her.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 4228 replies75 threads Senior Member
    Sarrip wrote: »
    Just say that you win the appeal and more aid is granted for freshman year. My fear in these situations is what will sophomore years aid look like. Suppose you don't win an appeal next year. I have to say that DD20 did get some offers that really made me a little nervous because it appeared that she was being offered much more aid than we believe that we qualify for. If they did not match it for future years we'd be in trouble and would either have to take out loans or transfer her.

In a case like this, you have to get it in writing that the award will be the same in subsequent years if your financial circumstances remain materially the same.
    · Reply · Share