right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

marital status

dainty2dainty2 4 replies1 threads New Member
got marry 2012 and separated 2014 I reconcile with my husband 2018 and did 2018 tax together. I did my 2020-2021 fafsa in January and just realize that I made a mistake for some reason I had filed jointly but separated, so I saw an email asking me to correct if the info is not correct and if correct I should leave as it is. My question is should I put the date we reconcile for the question asking for marry date? I am trying to avoid any other red flags for more verification.
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: marital status

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint 4926 replies19 threads Senior Member
    There is no such tax filing status as "jointly but separated." The date of your marriage is the date that you were legally married. The date you reconciled is not a factor for FAFSA.
    · Reply · Share
  • dainty2dainty2 4 replies1 threads New Member
    edited May 17
    thank you. I know that was an honest mistake, when I say joint I talking about the filing status and then the marital status I had separated Is it possible for them to still ask for verification after making my correction. To just gather my evidence in the mean time
    edited May 17
    · Reply · Share
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint 4926 replies19 threads Senior Member
    If you reconciled in 2018, when you completed the 2020-2021 FAFSA you should have reported your marital status as married.
    · Reply · Share
    yes I should have I just did it in a rush and I just use the saved info that was there from previous year I only made adjustment to the income so they say the marital status was conflicting
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78032 replies3500 threads Senior Member
    Your marital status needs to be as of the date you filed your FAFSA. So if you were married the day you submitted your FAFSA , that’s what your FAFSA should say.

And if you were married, you need to provide your 2018 income and your spouse’s 2018 income. And all of your assets.

You need to get this corrected.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you so much
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78032 replies3500 threads Senior Member
    P.S. you probably will need to get tax transcripts for 2018 for both you and your spouse. I’d order those now.
    · Reply · Share
    thanks will
    · Reply · Share