right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

State of residency when living with grandparents

nw2thisnw2this 2566 replies76 threads Senior Member
Parents live in one state and grandparents live in another. Attends school in grandparents state but one of the parents will complete FAFSA. Which state for instate tuition?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: State of residency when living with grandparents

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24573 replies19 threads Senior Member
    It depends on the state(s). The state where the student graduates from high school MAY give instate tuition. The state where the parents are legal residents MAY (probably will) give instate rates to a resident's child (this would be common for a boarding school student, ex). It may be that both states will give instate rates. It may be that neither will.

    Colorado gives instate rates to a child if a parent lives in the state. Child doesn't have to live there, the parent doesn't have to take the child as a tax dependent. My nephew got instate rates in Colorado and he went to high school in Florida and his mother (FL) claimed him as a dependent.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78032 replies3500 threads Senior Member
    In the very vast majority of cases, undergrad student residency is based on where the student’s parents reside.

    What states are you talking about? Perhaps someone here will be able to link the residency for instate tuition requirements.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity