right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Can I use my Cal Grant money for a new laptop?

atshoiatshoi 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hello, I will be starting community college this year and will be transferring to uni after 2 years. I've been awarded the Promise Grant to cover my tuition & fees for the upcoming semesters at my community college. But I've also received money for Cal Grant & because of my major, I am in need of a new laptop. Would it be okay to use my Cal Grant money for this? (If so, how exactly do I get the money I've received?) Thanks!
edited June 25
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can I use my Cal Grant money for a new laptop?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama 84343 replies1049 threads Forum Champion
    Which Cal Grant are you getting at a CC for your major? And how much will it be (it will be split between the two semesters).
    · Reply · Share
  • atshoiatshoi 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I received Cal grant B and was given $1,672
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10339 replies71 threads Senior Member
    If you are sure that your your tuition and fees are covered, then yes, you may be able to use that money for a laptop.
    Typically, you will receive an online bill for your fees. You then should see if they’ve applied the scholarship and Calgrant to your account.
    If so, how exactly do I get the money I've received?
    Any remainder money, after you’ve paid the school is refunded to you, via check or direct deposit. The school wants to be sure you’ve paid them first. It may take time, into the semester, when you get the refund.
    · Reply · Share