right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Financial aid question: Does apartment where dependent grandparents lives count as a "second home"?

Grapo20Grapo20 1 replies3 threads New Member
My parents own our home and they also own the small apartment where my grandmother lives. My parents support my grandmother and claim her as a dependent on their tax return. My question: Does this small apartment count as "second home" for purposes of financial aid, or might it be exempt like our primary residence. Thank you very much for your help!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Financial aid question: Does apartment where dependent grandparents lives count as a "second home"?

• kelsmomkelsmom 16165 replies99 threads Senior Member
    If they own it, rather than rent it, and if it is in their name, rather than in your grandmother’s name, it is an asset. Be sure to add your grandma in your household size, if they provide more than 50% of her total support.
    · Reply · Share
  • Grapo20Grapo20 1 replies3 threads New Member
    Thank you very much for your quick answer!
    · Reply · Share