right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Access VR- single mom on disability

canadusacanadusa 3 replies5 threads New Member
My daughter is a senior(IEP-Math disability).We are doing the college search.I attended an Access VR meetinglast year at my daughter’s school.I am on SSDI Disability w/Lyme after 27 years of teaching. After the meeting, I was told most if not all of my daughters expenses would be covered by Access VR if I could show my award letter.We are now making some very difficult colleges decisions as we would like to have everything wrapped up by Oct.1.I have send in my Access application and it’s very difficult to get answers with the financial piece
Looking at Buffalo State University.(COA ~26,000)
EFC~ About 4,500 Tap ~3500 Pell ~2500 Direct Loan~4,500
Looks like ~ 11,000 out of pocket

Wondering if there is anyone out here with AccessVR Experience that can tell me how much I can expect with financial support.
Is there a total I can expect after Tap/Pell.If I’m understanding what I read, Through
Access VR,I can expect a contribution of $8,000 towards my outstanding out of pocket expense.

I would appreciate any input/ clarification? How is the contribution reported w/FAFSA.
Thank you

Took out name
ED
edited August 6
4 replies
Post edited by Erin's Dad on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Access VR- single mom on disability

• kelsmomkelsmom 16296 replies99 threads Senior Member
    I am not familiar with AccessVR, and I couldn’t really figure it out by looking at the website. There may be some here who can offer opinions. However, my suggestion is to email AccessVR with your question. They can definitely help you, and I am sure they will be happy to do so.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 10154 replies392 threads Senior Member
    This sounds like a NYS program. @sybbie719, do you know anything about it?
    · Reply · Share
  • canadusacanadusa 3 replies5 threads New Member
    Thank!! Great idea
    · Reply · Share