right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Chance me for merit scholarships at the University of Richmond?

kiggenstanekiggenstane 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited September 13 in University of Richmond
I put this on Reddit, but haven't had any responses there. Hope this works! Sorry if this isn't how it's done on College Confidential; I don't have much experience with this site...

-

Hi!

I am a senior in high school who will be applying EA to the University of Richmond this fall. My family can't get need-based aid, but my parents can't cover the full cost, so I really need a scholarship. The Presidential Scholarship (one-third tuition) would probably cut it, but if there's any chance, I would love the Richmond Scholar award (full tuition), even though I know it's extremely competitive and highly unlikely. Anyway, here are my stats...

Major: Undecided (I talk in my essay about my interest in an interdisciplinary degree involving computer science, philosophy, and writing; this also aligns with my current senior capstone project)

SAT: 1540 - math 780, language 760 (retaking it on 9/23, and it should go up based on practice scores)

GPA: UW 4.28 (has to do with taking more than the max. courseload, I think, as I've taken multiple extra online/self-guided courses, particularly in Computer Science); W 4.47 (highest ever at my school, I believe)

Awards: some for Model UN, a regional tennis award as a freshman, multiple music honors (selected into all-county and area all-state every audition period)

ECs: I've been in a ton of clubs, but these are the ones I'd probably mention:

- Model UN (member 4 years, VP 2 years)

- A book club (probably most active club at school; very unique focus around a specific lecture series; I run it, and even though there's no technical president position, my counselor says I'm good to include it as a leadership role because it's a ton of work)

- Community Service Board (elected member for 2 years)

- Pitch (leader) of my school's a cappella group; this involves musical arranging, in addition to management

- Many saxophone groups, some of which would be listed separately; I'm in my school's ensemble (our band/orchestra together, since we're too small to have separate groups) and a youth jazz orchestra outside of school, where I play first alto saxophone; I've been in all-county and area all-state bands since 5th grade and have scored perfect or near-perfect Level 6 (highest level) scores on all my classical/jazz solos since 8th grade

- I'm in my school's glee club (our version of chorus, for some reason)

- I've recently begun volunteering on a weekly basis at a local food pantry, though I don't have a ton of CS hours from that (or just in general, to be honest)

- Idk if this counts for everything, but I spend hours every day working on personal projects (500 words of written fiction/day and about 1.5 hours of Spanish practice so I can become fluent as I hope to minor in Spanish in college)

APs and Honors:

- Many honors classes, mostly math and science, for years; my school is small enough that we don't have as many honors for English and History outside of APs, though

- AP US History (sophomore year; 5)

- AP Computer Science A (junior year; 5)

- AP English Language & Composition (junior year; 5)

- AP Spanish Language & Culture (junior year; 5) --> this one's also cool because it was only my third year of Spanish; I didn't take it in middle school and actually skipped my school's Advanced Spanish course to get to this one early

- AP Human Geography (junior year; 5)

- I also challenged the AP English Literature & Composition exam, though I didn't take the class (junior year; 5)

Essay: I think it's a pretty unique take, and it emphasizes my interest in justice and interdisciplinary study without hitting you over the head with it

Demographics: white female from Buffalo, NY (out-of-state); I go to a private, secular girls' school in the city, though I live in the suburbs

There's probably something I'm forgetting. We'll see...

Any help/advice/response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
edited September 13
4 replies
Post edited by sybbie719 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for merit scholarships at the University of Richmond?

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint 5020 replies20 threads Senior Member
    You will probably get more traction with your inquiry if you post it in the University of Richmond forum.

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-richmond/
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 2181 replies25 threads Senior Member
    I don’t know the chances of you receiving one but they award 75 1/3 tuition and 25 full tuition.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 84563 replies750 threads Senior Member
    Eeyore123 wrote: »
    I don’t know the chances of you receiving one but they award 75 1/3 tuition and 25 full tuition.

Since Richmond admits about 3,500 per year, that means that the 25 full tuition awards make up about 0.7% of admits, and the 75 1/3 tuition awards make up about 2.1% of admits. That suggests that any of these scholarships should be considered reaches.
    GPA: UW 4.28 (has to do with taking more than the max. courseload, I think, as I've taken multiple extra online/self-guided courses, particularly in Computer Science); W 4.47 (highest ever at my school, I believe)

How do you get an unweighted GPA > 4.0? Does your high school value A+ at more than 4.0, and you have lots of A+ grades?
    · Reply · Share
  • kiggenstanekiggenstane 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I don't really understand it, either. My counselor told me it was because I took so many extra courses that put me over the maximum. (I once saw someone online with a weighted of 5.1, so I think it happens at other schools, too.)
    · Reply · Share