right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Filling FAFSA and CSS profile

boihghboihgh 6 replies3 threads New Member
i am an African student, trying to fill the documents i stated above i have read i need to have Tax return, however in my country Ethiopia it not possible for ordinary citizen like me and my family to access our tax information, plus my parents are engaged in informal job. so can someone give me other alternatives
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Filling FAFSA and CSS profile

  • brantlybrantly 4390 replies79 threads Senior Member
    The forms for the 2021-2021 academic year are not available until October 1, 2020. You will have to call (or email) the financial aid offices of each college to ask how to handle it. By the way, if you are not a U.S. citizen, you are not eligible for U.S. federal aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • boihghboihgh 6 replies3 threads New Member
    the universities i am trying to apply require either one of the documents to do so i need tax return but is their anyway i can fill CSS profile without tax return. than you for replay.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30774 replies59 threads Senior Member
    You need to get into contact with other students from your country who have applied for financial aid at US colleges and get some feed back from them. You should also call the Fin Aid offices of the schools on your list and get specific information from them.

    You understand that some verification of your financial situation is needed for financial aid? Tax forms are the most neutral and are what are generally required. Do check what verifications your tax agency will give out.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 79056 replies3568 threads Senior Member
    edited September 21
    @boihgh you are not a U.S. citizen and therefore cannot complete the FAFSA. Please check your college websites again to see what they require for international students.

    You need some kind of documentation of what your parents (and you) had in income. If you are doing the 2021-2022 Profile, you will need info from the 2019 tax year. This form is not able to be done until Oct 1

    I agree...send the college(s) an email and ask what to do coming from your country. You aren’t the first one to ask this question.
    edited September 21
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity