Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Princeton Financial Aid

tsunashima1tsunashima1 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
Apparently some schools like Princeton subtract their financial aid grant by amount X if you win X dollars in outside scholarship money.

This sucks big time. The aid Princeton gave me isn't enough and I really want to apply for some scholarships to get some extra money. But apparently this doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Post edited by tsunashima1 on

Replies to: Princeton Financial Aid

• marmat103marmat103 Registered User Posts: 331 Junior Member
    As far as I know, ALL schools do it.
  • athlonmjathlonmj Registered User Posts: 1,555 Senior Member
    marmat, if I win any scholarship money, Yale will allow me to use it in the $4,200 self help portion that every student must contribute, so not all schools do that.
  • SchwabySchwaby Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    Princeton does that also.
  • frazzleddadfrazzleddad Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Most colleges subtract outside scholarships from self help (student work study and loans) then from the grants and awards the school has given you....It will not decrease your EFC...
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,193 Super Moderator
    Tsunashima,

You must remember that Princeton has eliminated the self help (student loans / work study) portion of their financial aid package.

After your EFC has been determined all of your demonstrated need is filled usings Grants/scholarship money). Therefore any outside scholarships thay yo receive will reduce the Princeton scholarship portion of your finanical aid. (they will not allow you to double dip or make money on scholarships that they have given you)
  • ericngericng Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    Actually, Princeton does give out work study. They just don't give out loans. Outside scholarships reduce work study then princeton scholarship i believe... I'm not sure about that.... Cornell's outside scholarship policy sucks! I wish scholarships could reduce family contribution too!
This discussion has been closed.