Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

NMSC notification system seems ridiculous

holycow0515holycow0515 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
I do not get it. Why does the NMSC consider it necessary or appropriate to use the high schools as middlemen for the notification of semifinalists? It seems that the current system is very unfair to all the students on the bubble. Some schools notify the students immediately, some choose to withhold the information for some ceremony, and some just let the information get temporarily lost in a sea of red tape. Students should not be finding out through eighth party hearsay that may be false whether they are semifinalists. Maybe there is a good explanation for the current system. If there is, I would love to hear it.
Post edited by holycow0515 on

Replies to: NMSC notification system seems ridiculous

• ArkansasMomArkansasMom Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    I agree completely. I don't understand why the NMSC doesn't notify the student directly, at the home address, rather than through the school. The school should certainly be notified, as participation on the school's part is required to advance to Finalist - but - I think the packet should be sent to the student. My daughter received her packet today at school and it was a COPY - not a very good copy, at that! I'm going to have to call her GC tomorrow to request that a legible copy be sent home if they aren't willing to send the original.
  • wisteriawisteria Registered User Posts: 625 Member
    I don't understand why the NMSC doesn't notify the student directly, at the home address, rather than through the school.

I assume that the reason they go through the schools rather than through the students is to keep mailing costs down.

The PSAT fees are much lower than the SAT fees. A significant part of the reason for this is that they don't need to deal individually with signing up individual students, issuing admissions tickets, sending individual score reports, etc. as they do with SAT.

Instead, the school orders the number of exams it expects to need, sends them in for grading, gets the score reports in bulk, and ultimately gets the paperwork for all semifinalists in a single mailing.

Printing and mailing even a simple letter to all 16,000 semifinalists at their home addresses would probably cost around $8,000, enough to fund three additional NM scholarships. Mailing the entire packet to each applicant separately would add even more to the costs.

Three decades ago, I myself only learned that I had qualified as NMSF in mid-September, when my mother saw my name in the newspaper. (My family had moved over the summer, across state lines, and I was in a new school. The paperwork had been sent to my old school. I'd forgotten about having taken the NMSQT test in the first place.)

It wasn't the end of the world to find out that late--there was still a month before the deadline to send in the finalist paperwork. The required essay is a very generic college application/scholarship essay.

EDIT: It does seem to me that posting a copy of the paperwork on the web for reference and posting a list of all qualifiers' names on the web (after the public press release date) wouldn't cost much and would be helpful.
  • CollegeBound2007CollegeBound2007 Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    Or, they could simply post the statewise cutoff scores on their website, if they don't want to reveal the names of the winners.
This discussion has been closed.