Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Scam or not?

NyrikiNyriki Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
I gave recently recieved a letter from the National Society of High School Scholars, an organization apparently in GA. It says to join I only need to pay a $45 membership fee. If I cannot, I can send in my income tax forms (with ssn blocked) as a request for a fee waiver. Is this legitamite or not? I have gotten confusing responses from the Internet and people I know. Here is its website: www.nshss.org

Would it make me stand out on a application if I have it or do the colleges themselves know it is a scam?
Post edited by Nyriki on

Replies to: Scam or not?

• BandTenHutBandTenHut Registered User Posts: 1,098 Senior Member
    It's not a scam.

However, it will not make you stand out on an application. Their cutoff is pretty low.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    It's not a scam. It's also definitely not worth $45 or the time involved to get a fee waiver.
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    It is not a scam and they do waive the fee if you request it. It will not help your application, but they do have a few discounts available for other programs and they did some information to my son that let him know about some neat programs he applied to that he enjoyed.

So if you qualify for the fee waiver, you might send it in if you have the
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 55,110 Senior Member
    Funny, I live where this organization is based and I've never heard of it. However, it is quite possible that the mailings went into the circular file....
  • PATSY55PATSY55 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Dont spend money or energy on this list. It is a meaningless marketing ploy.
  • simbasimba Registered User Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    also remember if it costs you money to get scholarship, it is a scam or a pyramid scheme.
This discussion has been closed.