Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Loan for living expenses while attending college

H.I. McDonoughH.I. McDonough Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Where can I get a loan for living expenses? I need to go to school fulltime and need to focus all my efforts on my studies. As a result I cannot work. Where can I go to get a loan to pay for 4 years of living expenses? I go to a cheap community college so pell grant covers tuition and books. I just need money for everything else.

I can get a good co-signer so that will not be a problem. Any recommendations?
Post edited by H.I. McDonough on

Replies to: Loan for living expenses while attending college

  • H.I. McDonoughH.I. McDonough Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    So, since no one responded I guess there are no loans like these available?
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 28,605 Super Moderator
    Every state has a Higher Education Authority of some sort through the state government. Contact them for information about loans you can get.
  • tim2286tim2286 Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    im not exactly sure but if u look at the tuition/fees page of the college website they have personal expenses listed that you have to pay. once you pay u get get a check i think.
  • latetoschoollatetoschool Registered User Posts: 3,143 Senior Member
    H.I. I am not sure at all where to get such loans, and this isn't what you asked, but I would encourage you to consider working at least a small number of hours, say 15 or fewer, while you're in school. Doing so will provide you with some money; you will have work experience on your resume which will may you more marketable and more attractive to prospective employers when you graduate, and best of all, you'll meet new colleagues, gain experience in how companies/organizations work, and if you can find a part time job that is closely related to or has some relevance to your major, you may have opportunities to translate what you learn in class to real world situations at work.

    Remember, when you graduate and you're in the professional job market, you will be in direct competition with applicants who worked (part time) all the way through school and in a few cases while simutaneously involved in a varsity sport or some other demanding EC.

    In most cases I think that employers who hire college students are receptive to arranging more flexible hours during times like final exams, or holiday breaks where typically the college student goes home to a distant city, etc., so, it may be possible for you to find a part time job where the time commitment does not interfere with the time you need for studying, etc.
  • H.I. McDonoughH.I. McDonough Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    latetoschool, the field I'm going in (Registered Nurse) hires anyone that graduates regardless of work experience. I really need to go full time to school and not worry with work. I did some googling and found some loans for living expenses while attending college. I just wish someone here could post a reputable place to get it and their experience with these types of loans.
  • fireflyburningfireflyburning Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Normally, you can go to a bank to get loans from a private source. If you have a cosigner with good credit, amount should not be too much of a problem. A lot of banks have programs to designed to loan money to college students. For instance:

    Bank of America Private Loans:

    For Undergraduate and Graduate Students; Bank of America Private loans are for students looking to cover education expenses that federal aid won't cover.
    Standard features: Flexible payment options - Repayment can be extended up to 20 years. Minimum monthly payment amount is $50 regardless of amount borrowed; Desirable loan limits - Minimum loan amount is $1,000; annually, borrow up to entire cost of your education minus other financial aid (for undergraduates); High maximum - Maximum cumulative loan amount (including all student loans) without co-borrower is $225,000 for Dental and Medical, $150,000 for MBA, $130,000 for Law and $120,000 for all other graduate loans

    Wachovia Education Loan:

    The Wachovia Education Loan is a flexible private loan designed to cover education costs that are beyond the reach of federal aid programs. Undergraduates, graduate students, and international students are welcome to apply. Students who qualify pay no fees, can receive from $500 to $45,000 annually, and have the option to defer repayment for up to five years. Here’s why students choose the Wachovia Education Loan:
    Generous borrowing limits
    No payments required for up to five years
    Quick online application with fast approvals
    Money-saving rebates during repayment
    Co-borrower release available
    Top-rated customer service

    Just go to your preferred bank's website and click on the student loan/education loan link.

    If your cosigner is your parent, you may want to first consider a Federal PLUS Loan because it will be less expensive.
  • latetoschoollatetoschool Registered User Posts: 3,143 Senior Member
    H.I. I did not realize that. In that case, Firefly's advice seems to be excellent, also, I have heard very good things about the Plus Loan. Of course, if you have a relationship with a local bank, perhaps a personal, unsecured loan would work.
  • itstoomuchitstoomuch . Posts: 1,745 Senior Member
    Wanted a light duty, caregiver. Furnished Room, all utilities, kitchen, stipend. Guaranteed 2 months regardless of outcomes. Next to campus.
  • sunkissed06sunkissed06 Registered User Posts: 53 Junior Member
    is there a non federal program like the Wachovia program where i can take out loans but defer my payment for much longer? I'm planning on going to to grad or med school and I want to defer until i graduate
This discussion has been closed.