Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

IDOC: Noncustodial Parent Incarcerated

JJS88JJS88 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
I've been having some problems getting my noncustodial parent's tax documents to colleges especially for IDOC (haven't sent it yet).

My noncustodial parent has been incarcerated for the past year and is currently retired to draw on a retirement pension while in prison. I have her 1099R in place of a W2, but the actual federal tax returns are delayed.

I had to send her the actual tax documents and booklets (prison didn't have them available). She filled them out to the best of her ability, but I'm sure she made mistakes without any help (we were able to complete the CSS/Profile). Now we are waiting for them to be filed.

The deadlines are drawing near and I'm wondering if I should just send copies of the 1099R. I have sent letters explaining my circumstances to most of the colleges, but I'm still get letters asking for her tax documents. If it matters, I do have an EFC of 0.

Any help with sending in the IDOC without her tax return and any suggestions with reasoning with the other financial aid offices would be helpful.
This discussion has been closed.