right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Number of Schools allowed to Receive FAFSA Info

Mario2144Mario2144 67 replies125 threads Junior Member
On another post (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/377143-preparing-finaid-applications.html), thumper1 said that you can only submit to six schools at one time for the FAFSA. I have both last year's worksheet and this year's (2008-2009). Last year had a space for six schools, but this year's (Section 5 - Schools to Receive Information), it gives you room for 10 schools.

Is thumper1 right or wrong? 6 or 10?
edited January 2008
11 replies
Post edited by Mario2144 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Number of Schools allowed to Receive FAFSA Info

• baker101460baker101460 259 replies32 threads Junior Member
    on the official 2008-2009 FAFSA form which you can download, it has only room for 4 schools.

however for the sake of correctness, i will take another look....
    · Reply · Share
  • baker101460baker101460 259 replies32 threads Junior Member
    well, i took another look and my statement seems to be correct. there are only 4 slots for schools on the paper version of the FAFSA.

i await the debate that follows....
    · Reply · Share
  • llllllll 109 replies20 threads Junior Member
    You can only select up to six schools to receive your application information. Once you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) you can make the information available to more than six schools through one of the following options. Each option will allow the school to receive an electronic copy of your SAR and you will also receive an updated SAR:
    1. If you have a paper SAR, you can replace the schools listed on the SAR with other school codes, and mail the SAR back to the U.S. Department of Education.
    2. You can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center and have them make the school changes for you. When you call, you must provide your Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR to have the changes made. Refer to the Customer Service page for contact and assistance information.
    3. Give the additional schools your Social Security Number, name, and the Data Release Number (DRN) from your SAR so that the schools can add their school code to your application and receive an electronic copy of your SAR.
    4. Go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and select “Make Corrections to a processed FAFSA” under the FAFSA Followup section. Note: Your PIN is required to use this feature. Add additional school codes and submit the correction record for processing.

Source: If I want to apply to more than six schools, what should I do?
    · Reply · Share
  • sblake7sblake7 1669 replies22 threads Senior Member
    The paper 08/09 FAFSA has space for 4 schools.

The online 08/09 FAFSA has space for 10 schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 79360 replies3583 threads Senior Member
    The online version of THIS year's FAFSA appears to be able to take up to 10 schools. My information was from previous years. The online version of this year's FAFSA only came online today!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • sblake7sblake7 1669 replies22 threads Senior Member
    yeah-- but some of us figured out how to take a peek yesterday. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • Sheed30Sheed30 12334 replies91 threads Senior Member
    lol, that sucks. I'm applying to 11 schools :(
    · Reply · Share
  • jyi90jyi90 845 replies115 threads Member
    yes I can confirm it is 10.
    · Reply · Share
  • tphsseniortphssenior 159 replies6 threads Junior Member
    You can submit more than 10 by processing the first group then processing another group after the first have gone through.
    · Reply · Share
  • aubreyaubrey 161 replies36 threads Junior Member
    What if I only have only 6 schools in mind right now and I already submitted in it? If I find more schools that I want to add to my list, say in March, can I still use FAFSA to send in informations to those school? And/or does it cost money? THANKS!
    · Reply · Share
  • tphsseniortphssenior 159 replies6 threads Junior Member
    You can add schools later, no problem. It is the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid = no charge!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity