right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Financially Illiterate...

bananapancakesbananapancakes 16 replies7 threads New Member
My parents make way too much for us to ever qualify for need-based aid, and because of this, I checked that I would not be applying for financial aid when I filled out the common app. My parents still expect me to be responsible for paying for part of my education (most likely at a private Top-25 school) and I will need to take out a small loan in order to do this.

However, my mom was reading this article in our local newspaper that talked about paying for college and it said that students are only eligible for reduced-interest loans if they apply for financial aid. Does this mean that (1) I won't be eligible for student loans because we don't have financial need and (2) If I am still eligible for loans, can I still apply for financial aid (to get the loans) even though I originally checked that I wouldn't be applying on the common app?
edited December 2007
1 replies
Post edited by bananapancakes on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Financially Illiterate...

• lil_killer129lil_killer129 4176 replies529 threads Senior Member
    You can still apply for financial aid. Since you changed your mind AFTER you submitted your common application, just call up the schools and tell them the change and you're set to go.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity