Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FAFSA submitted wrong, what should I do

libellusgirllibellusgirl Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
I accidentally submitted the FAFSA with the wrong income information (2006 instead of 2007). Like most families, we won't be filing our taxes until April; therefore I won't be able to edit it within 45 days with correct information.
Post edited by libellusgirl on

Replies to: FAFSA submitted wrong, what should I do

  • rlm919rlm919 Registered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    I never used to do taxes until April but when the kids started college and applying for finaid then started doing them earlier. If you want the aid that is what you have to do.
    By the way you can hold off filing until April but at least do the computations and get your numbers corrected as soon as the w-2s and tax forms come in.
  • momfrommemomfromme Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    Last year we got some information later than when we filed it and were able to refile it with corrected data. You can't do it right after you first filed it, however. But it is possible to do this and also to do it again once you have done your taxes.
  • lil_killer129lil_killer129 Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    You can go back and make corrections to your FAFSA.
  • libellusgirllibellusgirl Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    You can only edit it for the next 45 days, and we won't get our tax info until March???
  • rlm919rlm919 Registered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    I think your employer has to give you your w-2 by Feb 1st.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 8,359 Senior Member
    I have already corrected my daughter's twice in 2 days! The processing is fast right now, because it is still early. Just go to the "follow up FAFSA" section and you can put in estimated 2007 figures. As long as you checked "will file" rather than "complete" that is fine.

    Later, when you have your W-2's (which employers are required to provide by Jan.31st) you can go back, fine tune and enter "completed". The FAFSA folks said to do this anyway (change from "will file" to "completed") because as long as it says "will file" the school assume your figures are estimates.
  • oregonianmomoregonianmom Registered User Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    Where does it say you can only edit for the next 45 days?

    I just filled out my son's FAFSA, but we won't get our tax stuff to our accountant until early Feb. It will take her at least a couple of weeks to do our taxes, so I won't have finalized information until then. Today, I filed as a "will file" status.
This discussion has been closed.