Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is it possible to get a student loan for a precollege summer program?

njr1025njr1025 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
Hello, I'm really interested in applying to a precollege program this upcoming summer.

I don't know too much about loans... would any outside company or financial aid grant me around a $6,000 loan? I'm sixteen right now, and a junior in high school.

Thank you so much
Post edited by njr1025 on

Replies to: Is it possible to get a student loan for a precollege summer program?

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,828 Super Moderator
    No, you will not be able to get a student loan for a pre-college program because you are not enrolled as a degree seeking student in college.
  • njr1025njr1025 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    well, thanks for the response. Big letdown, really.

I was invited to the Cambridge College Programme over in England...my options are running out :(
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    There are a number of summer programs that offer financial aid if your family demonstrates financial need -- so that is a consideration.

Many students work and save money to attend these summer programs, but is is a little late to do this this summer.

It would be foolish to borrow money to attend a summer precollege program -- so it is a good thing that no one does lend money for you to do that.

Keep in mind that the majority of these programs are money-makers and that they accept just about anyone who can pay who is an average student and doesn't have huge disciplinary problems.

An "invitation" from the Cambridge College Programme was just an invitation to spend your money with them. While it would be fun, I am sure, it isn't some once in a lifetime special opportunity that you should sell the house so that you can pay for it kind of program.
  • elizabeth2005elizabeth2005 Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    you should save the money/loans for college. there are other activities that are as worthwhile as a summerabroad program and free, like volunteering, etc.
This discussion has been closed.