Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Leaving parents tax return out of the application?

DoryxDoryx Registered User Posts: 461 Member
Is this even possible to leave out parents tax return information for Fafsa or CSS? What if I don't have access to it? I'm filing an independent tax return and I'm 20.
Post edited by Doryx on

Replies to: Leaving parents tax return out of the application?

  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,193 Super Moderator
    I'm filing an independent tax return and I'm 20.

    If you do not provide your parent's information, you will not receive any financial aid.

    For financial aid purposes and filing the FAFSA, unless one of the following has happened:

    You are 24 years old

    You have completed your first bachelors degree

    You are married (even at some schools if you got married after enrolling, you are still a dependent student when it comes to getting their institutional aid)

    You have a child for which you provide more than 1/2 of their support

    You have served in the military

    You were a ward of the court before turning 18

    you will be considered an dependent student. Remember at many schools if you start as a dependent student, you will finish as a dependent student when it comes to the school giving you their money (even though you may be independent according to FAFSA standards).
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,197 Senior Member
    Sybbie is correct. There is a difference between independence for TAX filing purposes and independence for FINAID purposes. The criteria for being independent for finaid is very stringent, and usually not possible for undergraduate unless they meet one of the criteria Sybbie put forth above (one additional one...you are considered independent in most cases if you are an orphan...both parents dead).

    So...to answer your question...you more than likely MUST provide the parent financial information on the FAFSA. If you do not provide it, the FAFSA really won't be processed. In addition to needing to provide the information, one of your parents will need to sign the FAFSA with a PIN which you need to get from the FAFSA website. You need one and one of your parents needs one to sign the document for submission online.
This discussion has been closed.