Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Out of State Tuition (OOS) at UCSD and University of Washington

qwerty27689qwerty27689 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
What is the best way for me to pay of Out of State Tuition? I will be attending either University of Washingtion ($35,000 per year) or UCSD ($44,000) per year. My parents and I have enough money saved up for one and half to two years and I will have taken 9 AP classes which give me a little over a years worth of credits at each school. I'm planning on taking as much of the Stafford loan ($3,500 per year) that I'm eligible for since it has a lower interest rate. My parents are going to take out loans to pay for the rest. Also, in two years my sister will be starting college which will further stretch the budget. So basically I need help with the following questions:
1. I really want to go to UCSD, but is it really worth the extra $10,000 per year? I love UCSD, but if I have to go to UW and still be pretty happy.
2. Regardless of whether I go to UCSD or UW, what is the best way for me to help reduce the costs? (schollarships? work? ect.)
thanks for the advice.
Post edited by qwerty27689 on

Replies to: Out of State Tuition (OOS) at UCSD and University of Washington

  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,470 Senior Member
    Take some GE classes via local community college summer classes- for UCSD you can take them even online and they have a computer program which shows which ones are guaranteed to transfer
  • familyoutdoorsfamilyoutdoors Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    what state do you live in? There is a program called Western Undergraduate Exchange. Might work for WSU, not UCSD.
  • GroovyGeekGroovyGeek Registered User Posts: 889 Member
    Hopefully the OP made a choice they are at peace with. I just wanted to point out that two years from now, when sis gets into college, there will not be a significant change in the family budget. The EFC will stay the same, so the FA will increase, assuming that you are eligible for FA.
This discussion has been closed.