Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

College Financial Aid besides FAFSA

mouthwashmouthwash Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm looking for financial aid besides FAFSA. I need as much aid as possible; my parents don't make much.

Is it any aid based on income besides filling out the FAFSA?

note: I'm new here so please my apology if the question seems stupid.
Post edited by mouthwash on

Replies to: College Financial Aid besides FAFSA

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,836 Senior Member
    Your questions are not stupid. It's better to ask and find out than to get caught short in the end.

    First the FAFSA does not give money. It is a financial aid application used by virtually all colleges in awarding need based aid. You will need to complete the FAFSA if you want to be considered for need based aid. In addition, some colleges require the completion of the CSS Profile. This is another form that gives additional information that is used by some colleges to award need based financial aid. Some colleges also have their own financial aid application, and if your colleges require that, you will have to do that as well. Some schools will require documention of your income (tax returns for you and your parents) as well.

    When you figure out which schools you will be applying to, you need to check their financial aid websites to determine exactly what you need to do and when (don't miss the deadlines!!!). The colleges each will tell you what you must do for their school.
  • mouthwashmouthwash Registered User Posts: 2 New Member

    I'm already in college, just finished my 3rd year but I'm in a program which requires me to stay for 6 years. I already do fill out FAFSA and currently receiving some aid. But I'm in financial trouble and my parents have to send my sister to college in the fall. My parents don't make much which lies the problem, big problem actually.

    I'm looking for national financial aid which can help me out. Is there any online applications I can fill out?
  • franglishfranglish Registered User Posts: 2,308 Senior Member
    If you filled out the FAFSA for the coming academic year, it should reflect these changes that you are mentioning. So, when you receive your financial aid letter for the coming year, maybe it will be better for you. If you have already received the letter, and it is not enough, maybe you should go speak to your FA office, and see if they can help. Since you are already in the school, and there seem to be a couple of big changes in your family's situation, they will likely listen and perhaps they will be able to help. The best bet is to speak with them, as we, on this forum, are not the deciders!
This discussion has been closed.