Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do I Count as an In-State Student

kinglinkinglin Registered User Posts: 2,296 Senior Member
edited August 2008 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I'm an undergraduate out-of-state student at a public institution. If I was to pursue a masters at the same school, would I be considered an in-state student?
Post edited by kinglin on

Replies to: Do I Count as an In-State Student

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,396 Senior Member
    Probably not. But you would need to check the state requirements. Usually you cannot establish instate residency WHILE you are enrolled in college.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,324 Senior Member
    Check with the university. The rules may depend on your sources of funding. Are you paying for this graduate program yourself, or will you have an assistantship of some kind?

    Back in the last century when I was a grad student in the ag. college at Cornell, those of us who had funding through research or teaching assistantships were encouraged to claim NY state residency. After I looked at the advantages (not many as far as I could tell) and disadvantages (a whole bunch more paperwork to file every year having to do with state grants of funding for my tuition, etc.) I opted out. So did almost all the other out-of-staters in my department.
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    kinglin - Impossible to know without knowing which state you're in! You might try this link to find state residency info. They're all different and some are surprising - like my kids, who live in NY, would be considered KY residents for tuition purposes just because their dad lives there!

    FinAid | Other Types of Aid | State Residency Requirements
  • kinglinkinglin Registered User Posts: 2,296 Senior Member
    I'm attending school in Nebraska. My brother is attending school in Colorado. The tuition difference, (mainly in Colorado) is huge. Do you know how I could claim in-state for Nebraska and/or how my brother could claim in-state for Colorado?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,396 Senior Member
    Have your parents get divorced. Have one parent move to Nebraska and then you live with that parent, and have the other parent move to Colorado and have your brother live with that parent:)

    In what state do your parents reside? That is the easiest state in which to gain instate residency. And I've learned from this thread that if your parents reside in separate states, you may qualify for residency in either state...depends on the state.
  • kinglinkinglin Registered User Posts: 2,296 Senior Member
    Parents live in Missouri, and have no intent of moving.
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    How to be in-state in Colorado:
    In-state classification requires a domicile in Colorado for 12 months on or prior to the first day of classes of each semester. "Domicile" is the term used to describe the place where a person has chosen to make a permanent and fixed home. Domicile is made up of two components: physical presence and evidence of intent. Both physical presence and evidence of intent must be established to begin the domicile year.

    A domicile year is 12 months on or prior to the first day of classes for each semester. To begin the domicile year, a qualified person must reside in Colorado, with the intent to permanently live in the state.

    Physical presence is the actual place where a person has established a permanent legal residence. Proof of physical presence can be lease agreements, rent receipts, home ownership or a notarized statement from a landlord.

    Evidence of Domiciliary Intent: Qualified Person/Emancipated Minor

    12-month Domicile Period
    In-state classification requires domicile, or legal residence, in Colorado at least one year before the first day of class for the semester for which you are petitioning. Depending on if you meet the definition of a "qualified student", this 12-month period may apply either to you or to your parent(s). The only exception provided by statute to this 12-month domicile period is for active duty military personnel on permanent duty stationed in Colorado

    from the Colorado State University web site

    So, if your brother were no longer supported by your parents and he took a gap year living and working in Colorado, that would work.
This discussion has been closed.