Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

FAFSA 2009-2010 question 47 (j)

jubei1jubei1 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
http://ifap.ed.gov/fafsa/attachments/0801SummaryChanges0910FAFSA.pdf

What does this mean exactly: "Money received, or paid on your behalf (e.g., bills), not reported elsewhere on this form."?

Is it referring to bills that are in my name that someone has helped me pay for?

I am not considered a dependent but I live with my mom. None of the bills (rent, utility) are mine, they are all in her name. So do I have to put any of this monetary information down?
Post edited by jubei1 on

Replies to: FAFSA 2009-2010 question 47 (j)

• baker101460baker101460 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    it is referring to bills that are in your name that someone else has helped you pay for.

since all of the bills are in your mom's name, you do not have to put down any information about that on the FAFSA.
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,924 Senior Member
    You would not worry about bills your mom paid, I believe it is directed towards things like your Aunt paid your college tuition or your Uncle paid your rent
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,142 Senior Member
    Even the money the uncle uses to pay the rent won't count, as long as the apartment is not in the student's name.
  • dbr279dbr279 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I would like to get further clarification on this question. I am helping my son complete his 2009-2010 FAFSA entering his first year of law school. He is considered an independent upon entering and for FAFSA reporting. But, for question 47(j) does he include the tuition I paid as his father for his senior year of undergrad? And, does this count against him as he will be paying for his legal education himself through loans and scholarships?
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,924 Senior Member
    I am pretty sure the detailed explanation says NOT including money from your parents
This discussion has been closed.