Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

paying taxes on grant money?

pinkkkpantherpinkkkpanther Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
If my school gave me a full ride, and gave me a grant of about 12,000 for room and board, does this mean that this 12,000 is considered taxable income, and will be included in my AGI?
How did everyone else file their taxes? It doesn't make sense that I have to pay ~1,000 in taxes after receiving all this grant money, considering that I am low income to begin with to even be awarded a full ride.

Replies to: paying taxes on grant money?

  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    yes as far as I know- grants that are used for room and board are taxable.
    However, if your income is that low, there will be so many takeaways that I doubt if you ultimately will be paying very much of it back.

    Plus that seems a really high amount, $1000 a month?
    you aren't going to school in Beverly Hills are you ?
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,649 Senior Member
    Yes it is taxable income and has to be reported on your tax return. Any scholarship/grant money (including federal grants such as the Pell) in excess of tuition/fees/required books is taxable. Remember you do have some tax free income before your income is taxable.
This discussion has been closed.