Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

financial aid for us citizens living outside of usa?!?

peaches_creampeaches_cream Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
financial aid is confusing me and my parents a bit.
i'm an american citizen living outside of the usa (in korea). my parents both live with me; however, my mom's an american citizen while my dad's a korean citizen. they plan to apply with the FAFSA forms, but they're not sure what tax forms to send in.

should my parents send in their us tax forms (my mom still pays them) or their korean tax forms or both? what other forms should they send in?
Post edited by peaches_cream on

Replies to: financial aid for us citizens living outside of usa?!?

  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    Do not send ANY tax forms unless they are requested by the school(s) for verification. File your FAFSA online on/after January 1, 2010 (for the 10/11 school year), and wait until you hear from the schools you've selected to receive that information. They will tell you specifically what they need.
  • college_ruledcollege_ruled Registered User Posts: 1,243 Senior Member
    Different schools have different requirements (and different deadlines) for financial aid. I've seen schools request the CSS Profile, FASFA, an institutional methodology sheet, and tax forms. Go to the financial aid web page of the schools you are going to apply to and note their requirements and deadlines. Put the requirements and deadlines on a calender/ sheet of paper for each school.
This discussion has been closed.