Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

No Social Security Number

DBassilyDBassily Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
I just moved to the US and so I dont have a social security nuumber, does that mean I can't apply for financial aid? on the common app it says that I dont have to put an SSN# but by US law i have to if i plan to aply for financial aid. What should I do since I'm not a citizen yet
Post edited by DBassily on

Replies to: No Social Security Number

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,324 Senior Member
    There are several categories of eligible noncitizens who can file for aid using the FAFSA. If you fall into one of those categories, contact the Social Security Administration so that you can apply for your Social Security Number. If you don't fall into one of those categories, you aren't eligible to receive federal financial aid as determined by the FAFSA. However, individual colleges (and some states) may award you aid based on the FAFSA calculations. Contact the individual schools to ask about this. Here is what it says on the FAFSA website about determining eligibility if you are not a US citizen:

    Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are one of the following:

    * U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card")
    * Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
    * Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole," "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."
    * A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM).

    You can receive federal student aid if you are an eligible noncitizen. You must enter your eight or nine digit Alien Registration Number (ARN) on the FAFSA.

    If your citizenship status has changed from an eligible noncitizen to a U.S. citizen, you should contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update your citizenship status. If you do not update your citizenship status with the SSA it could delay processing your student financial aid. To contact the Social Security Administration call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration's Web site at Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.

    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.