Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

green card holder and Fafsa?

neosisneosis Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hello everyone ,
I will go straight to my points!
Here is a breif explanation of my situation:
I am a green card holder as it is said in the subject. The point is, my parents are living in my country, so I am here alone.
I am actually awaiting for the college's answer, meanwhile I am conducting some researchs about Fafsa.
Also, I've been in the us since last august, so I don't have any taxe record.
here are my questions:
What to do with my taxe?
What to do with my parents taxe and income? (since they don't leave in the us, they don"t have any taxe )
Also, when I try to calculate the EFC, they ask for my parent's state of legal residence. I don't see something for out of states? I fullfiled my own state of legal residence. When trying to calculate it(EFC). I see that my parents got the same one (state) as me.
my estimation, is that my parent's income is by 32 158.177 US$ (google convertion ).
i'm planing on attempting a college wich it's tuition is by $5000 a year.
Am I going to get a good financial aid? or any at all?

thanks for you're answers!
Post edited by neosis on

Replies to: green card holder and Fafsa?

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,848 Senior Member
    1) If your parents also have green cards, they are obligated to file US income tax returns each year on their worldwide income. If they are working abroad, they probably won't owe any tax money to the US. You would use the information from their US tax return for the FAFSA. The main websitefor information about taxes in the US is Internal Revenue Service You will also want to take a look at the FAQs for Foreign Income at http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq13-3.html

    2) If your parents don't have green cards and don't have any US income, then you should use their income, and savings converted into dollars. Talk to the financial aid office about this, they should be able to help you.

    3) Depending on the state where you reside, you may qualify for instate residence since you are here on your own. But you need to check with the place where you want to study. Don't worry so much about what the FAFSA form says is your parents' state of residence. What matters is whether your college/university is willing to consider you an in-state resident.

    Good luck!
  • neosisneosis Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    thank very much!
    I actually live in NYC. I came from my country by august , 18 to be more specific.
    I think that the college may give me the residency since it will be 6months.

    Anyway, thank you a lot for you're answer. :)
This discussion has been closed.