Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

E-2 Visa - Can I get scholarships?

MarshmlolMarshmlol Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I do not have a social security yet. My parents have told me that our request for one is still pending.
I currently live in California and almost every scholarship offered here requires a social security number.
If any one experienced what I'm going through or knows the answer can you please tell me if there is any way I can earn money through scholarships? How about working? Is it possible to work without a social security?
Post edited by Marshmlol on

Replies to: E-2 Visa - Can I get scholarships?

  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,702 Senior Member
    A dependent child of an E2 visa holder is not eligible to work in the US.

    Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors
    Family Members

    Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age, regardless of nationality, may receive derivative E visas in order to accompany the principal alien. The spouse of an E visa holder may apply to DHS for employment authorization. Dependent children of an E visa holder are not authorized to work in the United States.

    Time Limits
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,563 Senior Member
    Marshmlol -

    You need to contact the colleges and universities that you are applying to, as well as each of the scholarships organizations, and ask what category of student you are in. In most cases, you would be an international student. Some California schools might consider you an in-state resident. Some scholarships are be open to international students, others are limited to US citizens and permanent residents, still others are only open to US citizens. There is no way to predict an organization's policies. You have to ask.

    If the scholarship is open to students with E-2 visas, ask if they will give you an identifying number to use instead of a social security number, or if you should just enter 000-00-0000 instead.

    To get some more ideas, read the long thread on International Financial Aid at the top of this forum, and visit the International Students forum (click on "Discussion Home" in the upper left of this screen and then scroll down to find it).

    Good luck!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,627 Senior Member
    With a little investigation, you should be able to find colleges that consider ALL of their applicants for scholarships. But work quickly because some of the deadlines are approaching and some were on Dec 1.

    BTW...if you find a school with a Dec 1 deadline for scholarships, email their scholarship offices and ask if they'll still consider an app that is sent in now. Some schools give a "priority" to those who apply before the deadline, but will still consider those that arrive later if the applicant is desired.

    Since you're in Calif, check out the Catholic colleges. Many of them don't care if you're a citizen, resident, or not. Look at LMU, USD, USF, St Marys, etc. Many consider ALL applicants for scholarships. I think Occidental does, too.
This discussion has been closed.