Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to do if you didn't get enough financial aid?

HikoSeijuroHikoSeijuro - Posts: 128 Junior Member
edited August 2005 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I got my financial aid award letter and didn't get much aid from my college and own about 10k for the first year after grants and a stafford loan. Is there any way to pay for college if your parents refuse take out loans?
Post edited by HikoSeijuro on

Replies to: What to do if you didn't get enough financial aid?

• HikoSeijuroHikoSeijuro - Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Would it be wise to take out a private loan from a bank?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,203 Super Moderator
    It will be hard for you to get a private loan especially with out a cosigner (and you state that your parents refuse to take out loans).

If you did not get enough aid and have contacted your college and your package still has not changed, then you may have to defer and go to work or attend a less expensive school
    I'm considering millitary service since I can be considered independent if I join the Marines or Army. I've talked to a Marine recruiter on the phone and he said you could get alot of money for joining so it seem like a good deal.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,203 Super Moderator
    Yes, but unless you go the ROTC route, you get the money after you serve which means you will start the whole collee process over again because they will not defer you for the 3 to 4 years you will need to complete your military service.
    I might consider ROTC. I'm not sure exactly what that is but I've heard that its being offered at alot of colleges.
This discussion has been closed.