Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Owe School Money

1ofLifesLessons1ofLifesLessons Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I'm an undergrade at a community college. I had a family crisis where I had to travel and had to drop all my classes. I now owe my college $1192, and they put a stop on my records. I won't be able to register for classes untill I pay the full amount. I was wondering if I could take out a student loan and it would pay for that tution I owe? If so, could it be a federal student loan or a private student loan? How long will it take to be approved and get the check, because I want to go to school in this Spring semester. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by 1ofLifesLessons on

Replies to: Owe School Money

  • transfernkidtransfernkid Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    Most schools do not allow federal loans to pay off past debt unless you talk to the schools bursar's office maybe they might be able to help you
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,539 Senior Member

    I don't think that's true.

    Did you fill out a Fafsa for this current school year? I think you can take out a Stafford and pay off the student debt.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,520 Super Moderator
    The problem is that students must be enrolled at least half time to borrow a federal loan. If the student withdrew, there is no enrollment. The OP is stuck ... no fall enrollment, so no loan ... no spring enrollment without paying the prior balance.

    Did all of your loans get returned when you withdrew, leaving you to repay a refund? Or did you withdraw before you ever took out any loans? In the latter case, it is too late for a fall only loan once the term is over. Some schools will allow you to take out fall loans now, though, if you declare your intent to register for spring (because you WILL be taking a fall & spring loan, not a fall only loan). School policies vary, though, so you will have to cover a prior balance for a term in which you withdrew from classes.

    You MIGHT be able to get a private loan ... go to finaid.org & start calling some of the lenders. Explain your situation & they will tell you whether or not they will lend given the circumstances.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,539 Senior Member
    What if the student got a temporary loan from a family member (or put it on a Visa), paid off the school debt, registered for classes, then took out a Stafford and used that money to repay the family member (or Visa). Could that be done?
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,520 Super Moderator
    That is an option. The student would just want to make sure that he could get enough aid to cover what he owes the person from whom he borrowed.

    I should state that OP would only be able to get a fall loan IF he/she stayed in classes long enough to allow him the ability to borrow for fall. It is very important that /she check with the school's financial aid office to determine actual eligibility. If funds were returned due to the withdrawal, no further loan money is available for fall no matter what. Only if OP would actually have been eligible for loans & did not accept them prior to withdrawing might that be an option (no guarantee - so ask first).
  • 1ofLifesLessons1ofLifesLessons Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Everyone, thanks for all the help. I'm going to borrow the money from a relative and then pay them back with my refund. I get over $4,900 in grants each semester and my tuition and total coast is only $2,500. Thanks again, everyone.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,539 Senior Member
    Good luck!!!

    Hope it all works out!!!!
This discussion has been closed.