Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FAFSA Question - Will File, Filed, and parents' exemptions?

Star`Star` Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
I think I'm on the last page for FAFSA - but my parents haven't filed their 1040 yet. The application asks for my parents' exemptions which is said to be found:
Enter your parents' exemptions for 2009.

If your parents filed a:

1040 enter the number from line 6d.

1040A enter the number from line 6d.

1040EZ and did not check either box on line 5, enter 01 if they are single or 02 if they are married.

1040EZ and checked either the “you” or “spouse” box on line 5, use line F on the EZ worksheet to determine the number of exemptions ($3,650 equals one exemption).

Note: The line numbers above are from the IRS tax form, not from the W-2 form.

If my parents didn't file yet, what should I put in? Do I need to wait until they file?
Post edited by Star` on

Replies to: FAFSA Question - Will File, Filed, and parents' exemptions?

  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,696 Senior Member
    Who will they claim as exemptions? Put that number. For instance if they claim themselves and you that is 2 personal exemptions (mom and dad) and one dependent exemption (you) - so that is 3 exemptions. If there are also other kids being claimed as exemptions then they should be listed also. SO if they claimed themselves and 2 kids it would be 4, and so on. They should know.

    You can always correct it later.
  • Star`Star` Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Okay, thank you!

    I don't think FAFSA will let me submit it until my parents file. They ask for my parents' income tax and we don't have that information yet.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,696 Senior Member
    If you put "will file" you can estimate the income tax numbers (and income) and correct them later. Try and estimate as accurately as possible.

    Assets should not be estimated. They should be accurate as of the day you file.
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Registered User Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    You can use their last paystubs from 2009 to estimate. Look at the "year to date" gross pay. When all your W-2s, 1099s, etc come in the actual number on their tax form might be a litttle different than your estimate, but you can go back onto FAFSA and do the corrections once they've filed their taxes.
  • Star`Star` Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    My parents just found their Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement. Can I use the Federal Income Tax Withheld numbers for the Parents' Income Tax information FAFSA requires?

    Thank you everyone, so much! First time filling out FAFSA and my parents and I don't really understand all this stuff.
  • superpifassuperpifas Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    If only Dad worked in 2009 you can get the income tax question from line 2 of the w2. If both mom and dad worked add line 2 from both w2s. All the rest of the rest of the responses are great.
  • Star`Star` Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    Thanks. :]

    My parents filed now. FAFSA says to "If your parents filed: IRS Form 1040A – Enter Amount From Line: 35"

    When I look at Line 35, it says 0. Should I put that? Or stay with what line 2 of w-2 said (add for both parents to get the total)?
  • mamabear1234mamabear1234 Registered User Posts: 3,522 Senior Member
    Make sure the form they filed is a 1040A, then follow the directions and enter the amount from Line 35. The amount on the W-2 is just what the employer withheld, your parents may have gotten a refund of that money.
This discussion has been closed.