Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Fin. Aid.... what is EFC 617????

hjlee1992hjlee1992 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
i filled out my fafsa. and i got a 617 EFC?

how much is that? and how much should i be expected to pay for college???
Post edited by hjlee1992 on

Replies to: Fin. Aid.... what is EFC 617????

• TilgahamTilgaham Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    617 dollars.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,460 Senior Member
    Tilgaham...if the EFC is $617...that is the MINIMUM the student will have to pay. There is no guarantee that this student's college will provide all of the aid he needs to attend. Some schools meet full need and others do not. This student will receive a goodly portion of the Pell grant and perhaps some state grants as well. There are some other federal grant monies that are available at some schools but not others. AND this student will likely be eligible for a subsidized Stafford loan.

Now...if this student is accepted at one of the (small number) of schools that guarantees to meet full need for accepted students, his financial aid package will likely cover most of his costs of attending. BUT keep in mind that most of these schools also have a student contribution of a couple thousand dollars that they expect students to earn.

If the student does not get accepted to schools that meet full need, he will likely get some aid, but there is no guarantee he will get ALL the aid between what his family can contribute and what the college actually costs.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,539 Senior Member
    hjlee

where did you apply?
This discussion has been closed.