Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

E2 visa paying tuition?

peepsicanpeepsican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
so I have an E2 visa. I want to go to UCSD and have already submitted my SIR. recently my dad is regreting letting me go to UCSD because we cannot fford for it. being an E2, i dont have a SSN meaning i cannot obtain financial aid. my dad says that as long as the cost doesnt exceed $30,000 then i can go. then there's the problem with tuition. Do i have to pay tuition if i am a legal resident of california and have lived here for over 10 years?
Post edited by peepsican on

Replies to: E2 visa paying tuition?

  • dad1518dad1518 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    I don't quite understand your question. The fact that you're on an E2 visa implies that your father has substantial financial resources so why do you need FA (especially if he can pay up to 30K)? With that amount I would think you could easily afford UCSD. Also, the fact that you're a CA resident doesn't mean you're exempt from tuition.
  • peepsicanpeepsican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    actually we're broke because my cousin tricked our family of all our money and our grandfather wouldnt let us sue him. my parents dont even know where my college fund is right now. we've been borrowing and borowing.

    I thought residents int he area doesnt need to pay tuition?
  • dad1518dad1518 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    I'm sorry to hear about the family money problem derailing your college fund. I can relate somewhat as I've had problems with a brother-in-law who borrowed a substantial amount of money to bolster a failing business. That money should have gone to my kids college fund but is gone forever I'm afraid.

    CA residents are still subject to tuition but at a lower rate than out of state students. You should check with UCSD FA depart to see which programs you qualify for given your circumstances. Good luck.
  • peepsicanpeepsican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    oh my. i wonder if that average cost chart they put up includes tuition?
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    dad1518: Technically, California residents do not pay "tuition." We pay "fees." Yes, it's just semantics, but that is how it is worded and the public schools here are very particular about not calling it tuition. What they call tuition is over $20,000 on top of the "fees."

    However, those fees are in excess of $10,000 at the UCs.

    UCSD On-Campus
    UC systemwide fees:.................................$10,302
    UCSD campus fees:...................................$1,037
    Total California resident fees:......................$11,339
    Room and board:.......................................$11,527
    Books and supplies:...................................$1,573
    Personal expenses:....................................$1,538
    Health insurance fee/ allowance:..................$888
    Basic budget totals for California residents:....$27,960

    For out of state, these two fees are added at UCSD:
    Education fee:...$858

    Budgets for Undergraduates 2010-2011
  • peepsicanpeepsican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    ohh i see so you only have to pay the $22,000 if you live out of state or didn't live in CA for the past year?
  • RedrosesRedroses - Posts: 3,293 Senior Member
    The cost is about $30K if you are considered in state and about $50K if not. That includes living and eating on campus. If you commute the number goes down. If you attended the last 3 years of high school in CA you are in state.
  • peepsicanpeepsican Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    yess!!I went to all 4 years of high school in CA so hopefully they dont make me pay the extra $20k. If everything goes well then i get to go to UCSD!
  • dad1518dad1518 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Kender->"Technically, California residents do not pay "tuition." We pay "fees." Yes, it's just semantics, but that is how it is worded and the public schools here are very particular about not calling it tuition."

    Interesting, any idea why this distinction is made?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,802 Senior Member
    Because somewhere along the line, someone decided to hold "tuition" at a certain level even though costs continue to go up. Increases in the costs are covered by tacking on fees, and increasing those fees over time. California is the most extreme case that I know of, but many other public colleges and universities do the same sort of thing.
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    happymomof1: That's more like how Michigan does it. They have both tuition and fees and end up getting screwed over when they think they're getting a "full tuition scholarship" and only a small amount is covered. Last I read, their fees were higher than their tuition.

    California, it has to do with the "master plan" to not charge tuition to residents (or so I've been told when I laughed after I was corrected about the tuition versus fees terminology at all of my colleges). However, obviously not charging anything doesn't work, so we have fees. But are scholarships that are said to cover fees actually cover all the fees and there's no hidden tuition cost.
  • 3bm1033bm103 Registered User Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    Kender: I have no idea where you get that information about Michigan, but it is absolutely not true. Their tuition is very high, but their fees are around $108 a year. I know because my son did get a full tuition scholarship and that's all we paid.

    You must be thinking of a different state.
  • arabrabarabrab Registered User Posts: 5,949 Senior Member
    Massachusetts was the school with the tiny tuition and truly enormous fees -- some poor kid was unpleasantly surprised when his "full tuition" scholarship turned out to cover virtually none of the costs.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,711 Senior Member
    Oklahoma also has a bunch of per credit hour mandatory fees that add up to almost as much as tuition (about 3/4 at my daughter's school). My daughter has a full tuition scholarship but it does not cover fees. (luckily she also has another scholarship and some need based aid).
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    arabrab: Thanks for the correction :). Having to get up early for an 8am class on the other side of a huge campus and trying to remember a state's name do not combine well for me apparently. UCSC: a beautiful campus, but a pain to get around early in the morning before the shuttles have started running. Especially when you are not a morning person.

    As bad as California's "fees" are, at least our state programs to cover them do not cover only one part of them and ignore another part just based on what they're referred to as. It could always be worse. Whole system is hurting right now, but they are not gouging the students as much as some protests and news reports would want to lead you to believe. Even my health insurance fee is covered by the grants I get from the state.

    OP: I would contact UCSD to make sure you would qualify as a resident. That "three years at a California high school and having graduated from a California high school" rule is confusing. UCSD mentions about "undocumented students" in regards to it, but UCSC has it worded in such a way that it applies to anyone (ex: I could go gain residency in another state, but because I spent my high school life in California, I can request an exemption from out of state tuition if I came back to school in California). I have no idea which one is correct.

    It sounds like you will qualify, but it would be something to follow up on soon to know 100% for sure. Especially since you already submitted your SIR.
This discussion has been closed.