Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

In State Tuition If Parents Move Out of State?

TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,490 Senior Member
My husband and I are considering moving out of state. We are currently California residents and both kids will attend UC schools in the fall.

If we move out of state, will the kids lose their in-state tuition status?
Post edited by TatinG on

Replies to: In State Tuition If Parents Move Out of State?

  • JLSParentJLSParent Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Pls refer UC Berkeley Legal Residence Information - Office Of The Registrar
    and UCSB Establishing California Residence for Tuition Purposes, Office of the Registrar for more details.

    Temporary Absences

    If you are a nonresident student who is in the process of establishing California residency for tuition purposes and you leave California during nonacademic periods (for example, to return to your former or parent's home state), your presence in California will be presumed to be solely for educational purposes, and only convincing evidence to the contrary will rebut this presumption. Students who are in the state solely for educational purposes will NOT be classified as residents for tuition purposes, regardless of the length of stay.

    If you are a student who has been classified as a resident for tuition purposes and you leave the state temporarily, your absence could result in the loss of your California residence. Again, only strong evidence will rebut the presumption that you are/were in California solely for educational purposes. The burden of proof will be on you to verify that you did nothing inconsistent with your claim of a continuing California residence during your entire absence.

    If you are a minor student, your residence is determined by the residence of the parent(s) with whom you live or last lived, and you would not lose that residence unless you perform acts inconsistent with a claim of permanent California residence.

    Some steps that you (or your parent(s) if you are a minor student) should take to retain resident status for tuition purposes are:

    * Satisfy California resident income tax obligations. It should be noted that individuals claiming permanent California residence are liable for payment of income taxes on their TOTAL income, including income earned outside the state (abroad or in another state).
    * Continue to use a California permanent address ON ALL RECORDS (educational, employment, military, etc.).
    * Attend an out-of-state public institution as a non-resident for the entire period of enrollment there.
    * Retain your California voter's registration and vote by absentee ballot.
    * Maintain a California driver's license and vehicle registration. If it is necessary to change your license or registration while temporarily residing in another state, the license MUST be changed back to California within 10 days of the date of return to the state, and the vehicle registration must be changed within 20 days of the date of return.
    * Return to California during your vacation periods.

  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,466 Senior Member
    No, if they/you are legal CA residents when they start a UC, they will remain eligible for resident tuition as long as they attend with no stops. The one thing to be careful of is:
    no semester off for anything....no study abroad with any program other than the UC one.

    My info is a couple of years old, but unless CA govt has changed that you should be fine.

    My DD also never came to my new home for summer breaks, she either stayed in CA or took other opportunities to ensure there were no complications.
  • TatinGTatinG Registered User Posts: 5,490 Senior Member
    This is complicated. We are California residents now and have been for over 25 years.

    But it sounds like we can't afford to retire out of state until the kids graduate. (Or we have to weigh the cost of living out of state against the cost of paying out of state tuition even after having paid taxes for all those years).

    But if the kids are only minors to age 18, then wouldn't their residency status be determinative?

    Eons ago, when my husband went to college, after his freshman year, his parents retired and moved out of state. But he still received in-state tuition. But things may be different for UCs.
  • JLSParentJLSParent Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    To keep it simple, the key might be "Satisfy the California resident income tax obligation" from one or both parents, until the kids become independent status (Temporary Absences, Office of the Registrar). Other conditions sound like easily met.

    Looks like UCs do one-time Residence status review before freshman year, not in every year. But be prepared?
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,466 Senior Member
    Are all your kids attending UCs by fall 2010? if so, you would have done the SIR in spring 2010 and should not be asked again unless they take a stop out. As long as they go straight though, they will not be asked again.

    I brought up the study abroad as many UC kids will use other schools abroad programs, don't do that ;)
  • gadadgadad Registered User Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Call the Admissions offices at your kids' schools and get their responses.
This discussion has been closed.