Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

My parent has no SSN

ProteinManProteinMan Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
Ok, so I thought I had resolved this issue a few months ago. I am a legal U.S Citizen and California resident and will be attending a UC school this fall. My mom does not have an Social Security number and this has created a big problem. A few months ago when I filled out my FAFSA application, I put her SSN number as 000-00-0000 and the application was rejecting that number and would not let me proceed saying that the SSN was invalid. So my teacher recommended me to put 999-99-9999 for my mom and it let me proceed and everything was fine. Now, I got an email today from FAFSA saying that my "Financial Aid Administrator (FAA) at your school has made corrections to your application". Now it's asking me to provide my mom's social security number. What do I do about this? What do you put down if your parent doesn't have an SSN? Also, it's asking for my Dad's SSN when I know nothing about him, and don't live with him. Do I have to provide his SSN too even though my mom never married him and I know nothing about him?
Post edited by ProteinMan on

Replies to: My parent has no SSN

  • 3bm1033bm103 Registered User Posts: 4,209 Senior Member
    Although I find it hard to believe that she doesn't have one, she could always go get one. What does she live on?
  • SchokoladeSchokolade Registered User Posts: 1,111 Senior Member
    3--Perhaps Protein's mom is not a U.S. citizen. It is still possible to live here legally as a noncitizen.

    Protein--I recommend that you talk to your college directly. I suspect that this is not the first time the financial aid office has seen this.
  • ProteinManProteinMan Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    My mom is not a U.S citizen and her Passport expired a few years ago. Ok, that is what I'm going to have to do. I usually don't like calling when doing things, because almost all of the time the person who answers me doesn't know anything about my situation and doesn't know what to do.
  • ProteinManProteinMan Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Another question, if a student applies for financial aid and he or she is a legal US Citizen and their parent is an illegal immigrant, can that student receive financial aid?
  • megmnomegmno Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    When you filled out the FAFSA form you needed to have your mom's tax returns (1040 form) to answer the questions. Does she have some kind of a taxpayer ID number instead of a SSN? If so, you might be able to use that number.
  • ProteinManProteinMan Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Yeah, she does. I just called and everything is cleared and good. Idk why FAFSA send me that email to correct my information when I already have been awarded with my aid. I just called, and according to my school, everything is correct and I don't need to correct or change anything. For some reason in the FAFSA site it's showing my FAFSA application as incomplete, but in my school portal as complete lol. So i guess this is a good lesson that it's better to call and ask for help and not panic when you get bad news
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,520 Senior Member
    The parent's status doesn't matter, only that of the student. As long as the student is a US citizen, US permanent resident, or falls in one of the other categories permitted to file FAFSA that is all that matters.
This discussion has been closed.