Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UF & FSU Engineering

Ale1234Ale1234 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited February 2013 in Florida Colleges
I am currently a student at FGCU, I went there for a Bio major, but then changed that to Chemistry. However after reading what actual chemist do I thought that Chemical Engineering is a better career path for me.

So last semester I decided to go after the pre-requisites for the Engineering schools at this universities. I am curretly getting the math out of the way to then do the physics.

My GPA is not great because I really screw up my first year but I manage to bring in over a 3.0 after having it almost at a 2.0

I have done decent in Chemistry Classes, and I have been TA for Chem 1 for two semesters now. However organic is not for me I am better with numbers and analytical thinking classes.

So far my math is strong having A in Algebra, A in Pre-Calculus, B in Calc 1, and A in Calc 2.
Taking Diff Eque and Calc 3 this semester.

I also want to note that I have been working now for months as a Research Assistant and therefore have gather a good amount of research experience and I just got rehire to continue throughout the Spring. And I will also be working this semester on a different project under the guidance of an actual PhD in Chemical Engineering professor.

So assuming that I do good on the math and the physics what do you think are my chances.
My first choice is UF>FSU>USF>some out of state (recommendations :) )

Thank You

PS.
I will probably get really good letters of recommendations from my professors.
Post edited by Ale1234 on

Replies to: UF & FSU Engineering

• parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    In general, UF has better engineering programs. However, visit both and see where you fit.

There's little difference in the supporting sciences such as chemistry, and math. I think FSU has better physics, but some will argue that point.
This discussion has been closed.