Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UF premed?

batman24batman24 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
What are the average requirements needed to get accepted to UF to do premed?

Replies to: UF premed?

• Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,249 Senior Member
    As a Freshman? UF accepts freshman students to the University and not to each college/program. UF doesn't consider your major in making it's decision.

The middle 50 percent of students admitted to the 2014 fall freshman class had the following criteria:

High School GPA of 4.1-4.5
    SAT 1810-2060
    ACT 27-31

http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/ugrad/frprofile.html

As a transfer student (a junior), you have to apply to each college. Each college has it's own requirements, including GPA requirements.
  • batman24batman24 Registered User Posts: 88 Junior Member
    Do you know what school is best to do premed?
    In florida. Ive heard UCF, UF, USF, and UM are good schools. Ive also heard some good stuff from FIU. (for premed) any suggestions?
  • gouf78gouf78 Registered User Posts: 7,209 Senior Member
    UM is private and very expensive.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,915 Senior Member
    For us to answer in a way that'll be useful, we need to know
    1° your parents' budget
    2° whether you're after 100% need met, or merit scholarship
    3° stats: ACT, GPA, APs
    1. Learned recently it was about 55,000 a year
    2. I guess 100 percent need met. I want to get as much money possible, but i guess we all do. Dont know if this is what youre asking
    3.act not taken, gpa 3.6 but maybe goes up because of this class im doing now in the summer. I have never taken any AP up to this point but i always take honors classes. However, senior year i picked 2 AP classes, stats, government/economics, and aice environmental and dual enrollment english.
    edited July 2015
    If your parents can pay 55K, it means you have zero need, and if you want some money it'll have to be merit, ie., choosing colleges where you're among the top students.
    Is 3.6 your unweighted or weighted GPA?
    When you say "ACT not taken", are you saying you haven't taken any standardized test yet? WHat grade are you, rising junior? Not rising senior I hope?
    Roughly speaking, you should go to a college where you rank in the top 25% or better (top 10%).
    If 3.6 if your weighted GPA and you have mostly honors classes, with 2 AP, 1 AICE, and 1 DE class, UMiami is a reach but keep it because I think they're need-aware so your parents ability to pay would help a bit.
    USF Honors might be a possibility depending on standardized test scores.
    For premed and a 3.6 GPA+ very rigorous schedule, I'd suggest Eckerd, Rollins, and if you're willing to venture away from Florida there are plenty of colleges that would be good.
    Oops i meant to say their income is 55,000 not the budget. My mistake.
    And the 3.6 is weighted
    oh, ok. Then you do need a full-need college, but there won't be many for a 3.6 weighted. Perhaps St Olaf will be interested in the novelty of having an applicant from Florida (and it's a very, very strong in the sciences - good premeds can intern at the Mayo clinic) but you better score in the 2000s on your SAT or 28-32 on your ACT. Perhaps Gettysburg, too. It's more isolated than St Olaf, but less cold.
    UF, FSU, and UCF are out of reach. UF would want a 4.3, roughly.... and for premed you need to pick a school where you'd be among the best, so that you can ensure excellent grades, not be in the bottom half of the group where you'd necessarily not be at the top of the class, thus making the med-school worthy GPA almost impossible to get.
    In-state, you have, as I said, Eckerd and Rollins, USF if you score well on the ACT, FIU if you can be in honors (not if you can't), UNF perhaps.
    Geographic diversity can mean preferential packaging, so look into Bradley, Butler, Drake, Nebraska Wesleyan, Ohio Wesleyan, Hiram, Goucher, Wheaton (MA), Susquehanna, Allegheny, Earlham, Capital (OH), John Carroll (OH) and Carroll (MT).
    Still in the South, you may have a shot at Hendrix or Sewanee. Not sure about Rhodes, it'll depend on your ACT score.
    Why is FIU not good if not for honors?
    Well, it's on the lower end of the large FL public universities. You could be premed there without honors but you could probably get into other programs that would support your goal better (like Eckerd and Rollins).
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,249 Senior Member
    ^^^ MYOS1634 always gives great advise. Check out these private schools, as they may awarded you enough aid to make them affordable.

Some advise....

Learn how to find and use the net price calculator for each college. Many can be found at College Navigator.

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=eckerd&s=FL&ct=2&ic=1&id=133492#netprc

IF FIU or FAU are local (and you can commute from home), you should apply and have them as a safety (Financial). Both of these schools generate a large number of Med school applicants (about 100 a year at FAU, about 150 a year at FIU). Not as many as, say UF, UCF, USF, FSU or UM, but still enough to make them an option. Both schools are on rolling admissions, you can apply once you've taken your SAT/ACT test. Having one or both as a back-up will significantly reduce your stress while waiting on your other colleges.

You should plan on taking your SAT/ACT early in the fall (I think Oct 3rd is the first SAT test date). This gives you time to re-take the test if needed, later in the year. You should also spend some time this summer studying for one or both of the test. At least pick up a study guide and do a few practice test.

Good Luck!
    What are the benefits of honors? I actually live 10 minutes away from FIU and was really considering going. The requirements arent that high(automatic admission) and wouldnt have to pay for a dorm. So, are the academics at the private colleges you mentioned that much better that i should consider going to them even if i get accepted to FIU (not honors). I will try to get into honors though.
    edited July 2015
    Or are my chances of going to a better med school higher if i attend one of these private colleges. Eckerd and rollins for example since their both instate?
This discussion has been closed.