Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances for Florida schools

r2v2018r2v2018 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
edited September 2017 in Florida Colleges
Hey, everyone. I'm a male senior in high school. I'm looking to get into a good school in my state (FL) and I was wondering where I am most likely to end up. I am mainly looking at FSU, UF, and UNF. I think the first two are more reaches, while UNF is more of a match, but I would like other input, including other colleges I haven't mentioned.

Here are my stats.
UW GPA: 3.95
W GPA: I'm actually not 100% sure, it's a 4.31 right now but I have 2 As in 5.0 weighted courses and an A in a 4.5 weighted course that will be on my transcript before I submit my app. I calculated online that my GPA would go up to a 4.39-4.4 once once those have been added, but I'm not sure how reliable that is. My UF GPA is also about a 4.4, following the .5 for honors/1.0 for AP/DE rule they have.
SAT: 1300 (720R/580M) - 1st (only?) try
Class rank: Currently top 11%, but again, this might change.

The majority of my academic classes have been honors or better, but due to scheduling issues, I have some regular classes on my transcript from Freshman/Sophomore year (about 5, not counting foreign language, which aren't weighted until level 3).

AP Courses: 8
Biology (5)
English Language (4)
Psychology (5)
Art History
English Literature
Chemistry
Macroeconomics
US Government

Dual Enrollment courses: At least 9
US History I - 87 (B)
US History II - 93 (A)
Introduction to Sociology - A
College Success Skills - A
College Algebra
Personal Finance
Elementary Statistics
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Humanities

Because the Dual Enrollment schedule for the Spring term hasn't been released, these are only the ones I have already been signed up for (with the exception of Humanities which I MUST take in the Spring Term as it is an AA prereq). I am thinking of taking Introduction to Computer Concepts and possibly even Beginning Spanish I (I'll talk more about that in a second), so the number I could have before graduation could be as high as 11. The last time I checked, my college GPA was a 3.75 for the 4 classes that have already been finished.

My family is poor and I'm trying to get a jump start on college. For the colleges I am looking at, I am walking into my senior year with 29 credit hours from AP exams/DE classes and the 5 dual enrollment classes I will be taking senior year will total an additional 15 hours. If I do well on my AP exams this year, I may be able to start college in advanced standing, or so I've heard.

Foreign language: Only three years of Spanish. This year, the school stopped teaching Spanish IV because almost nobody wanted to take it; I was one of two students in the entire school who was signed up for it. We also don't have AP Spanish Language either. This really bothers me because I love Spanish, and I would like to major in it in college. I am also scared of the idea of "losing" the language, which is why I was thinking of taking basic Dual Enrollment Spanish second semester.

Grades: I have gotten all As in my dore classes and academic electives except for US History I, which I got a B in.

ECs:
Really nothing special at all. It doesn't help that I've only been attending a physical high school for 2 full years and before that I was homeschooled and transferred to the HS I am at now after sophomore year had already started.
I have been in NHS and Mu Alpha Theta for 2 years, and I help out my teachers after school and during class if I have completed my work early with grading papers and organizing the classroom.

Subjective stuff:
Race/Sex: Black (Haitian) male
Legacy at UF (mother)
Single disabled and unemployed mother
Very low income compared to rest of school

Thanks for reading. Hope I posted this in the right place.

Replies to: Chances for Florida schools

• r2v2018r2v2018 Registered User Posts: 303 Member
    I also forgot to mention I got Principal's Scholar (sophomore and junior years) and 3 "Outstanding Achievement" awards in my school from the English/Science/Foreign Language departments my junior year, but I don't have any awards from outside of my school and all students with a 3.75 GPA or higher get Principal's Scholar, so I don't think this all carries that far.
This discussion has been closed.