Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances of getting accepted to FSU in 2013? What about Honors?

JeminyJeminy Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited September 2012 in Florida State University
Hi I wanted some opinions on my chances of getting into FSU for the 2013 year.

I have:
-2040 SAT score
-30 ACT composite
-4.3 FSU recalculated GPA (4.15 at my school I think)
-Almost all of my classes are Honors and I will graduate with 6 APs (I've made two 3's, a 4, and a 5 up to this point)
-I am in National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National Latin Honor Society and Beta Club, as well as Thespian Society (I have been in around 7 productions)
100 hours of community service

Several awards at school
Outside school - church choir, vocal instruction at a local university, in the process of getting ASA certified for sailing, and I've studied guitar and piano.

I am a GA resident.

Does anyone know where I probably stand? Also for the Honors program?

Thanks! (:
Post edited by Jeminy on

Replies to: Chances of getting accepted to FSU in 2013? What about Honors?

• parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a very nice academic record! You have worked very hard. Admission chance to Florida State is very good.

Admission to Honors is a little less certain, but within reasonable range:
    The average academic profile of students that were offered honors invitation in 2012 was as follows: 4.3 academic GPA*; 31 ACT composite, and 2070 SAT total.
  • JeminyJeminy Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Awesome! Thank you! (:

Do you have any advice for the essay?

My rough draft I have right now has a very conversational tone and I'm not sure if it's too risky.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    Typically the essay is a tie-breaker and is used only in that event. However, this could always change unexpectedly so I suggest you take the essay seriously. Style is a personal preference.
    This year's essay is described below and should be no longer than 500 words.

Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeal most to you, and why?
  • yankees3311yankees3311 Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    Is that the essay for Fall 2012 or Fall 2013? Did not think application came out to Aug 1?
    Yankees that is the essay for 2013, its on their website and I also emailed them to make sure.
  • yankees3311yankees3311 Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    Thanks..I also emailed them and they told me Fall 2013 info would be out August 1st. Not a big deal it is almost August 1st so I will wait
  • daniellehenryyydaniellehenryyy Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    I think you will have no problem getting into honors. I was accepted to honors this year with a 4.2 FSU GPA and a 28 ACT. I had 9 AP and the rest Honors classes but you have way more extracurriculars than me.
    Awesome! (:
  • johnatv1995johnatv1995 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm also C/O 2013 and planning on attending FSU. I'm not sure of my GPA right now because I do dual enrollment at the state college. I'm going to take multiple visits to FSU because my friend will be attending FSU this year.
  • PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    You have really good stats. The only question mark is that OOS is significantly more difficult for acceptance than in-state. If I was venturing a guess, I'd say though you're at probably a 90/10 chance of acceptance and a 60/40 shot at Honors.
  • TallalassieTallalassie - Posts: 538 Member
    Interesting the references in the application for admission essay topic to "world-class academic institution" and "global awareness." Wonder if FSU is going to emphasize and push students more to do studies overseas for a semester? If I had extra money I'd like to do a semester in another country. The only country I've been to other than Florida is Georgia...USA!
  • Determined22Determined22 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Can someone PM me I applied at FSU, but have some questions about how to get in the honors college.
This discussion has been closed.