Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

please chance me for fsu fall 2013

reggegreggeg Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited December 2012 in Florida State University
eighted gpa (school): 4.4
weighted gpa (university system): 3.7 (guess)
unweighted gpa: 3.5

sat verbal: 630
sat math: 610
sat writing: 490

act composite: 26
reading: 31
math: 26
science: 24
english: 24

9 APs
5 years of foreign langauge (Chinese and French)

ECs
heavy involvement in Theatre and TV production
with leadership positions in related clubs
language clubs
1 jv and varisty sport

volunteer hours: 220

I'm also looking at UCF, USF and UWF if anyone has any opinions about those. FSU is where I really want to go though.
Post edited by reggeg on

Replies to: please chance me for fsu fall 2013

• JamalDAJamalDA Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    What's your SAT Reading Score?
  • reggegreggeg Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    That's the 630. I meant sat reading but wrote sat verbal.
  • RobbehRobbeh Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I could be wrong, but I believe you need at least a score of 500 in each section to be considered, so you might have to bump that math score up.
  • JossieJossie Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
    get the writing score up, and retake the sat again. you're in after that.
  • RobbehRobbeh Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I meant writing in my post, sorry.
  • tutu982tutu982 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    You should be fine. I got in fall 2013 with lower test scores than what you have. But my weighted was a 4.6 and unweighted 3.7
  • ThalieosThalieos Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    UWF: I would bypass. I lived in the area, dated some people who went to the school and had classes with dual-enrollment students and I elected to bypass U-Dubb.

USF: After a semester at USF I am transferring to FSU in the Spring. I was unimpressed and underwhelmed continually at USF by the way I was treated like just another warm-body. Repeated issues that were never resolved, crowded and dirty campus (and city).

FSU or UCF would be my suggestion unless you have a specific reason why you'd want to go to UWF or USF.
  • PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    http://admissions.fsu.edu/freshman/admissions/requirements.cfm
    In addition to the applicant's overall composite on the ACT or total score on the SAT, the following minimum subscores are required:

Writing - 21 on the ACT English and ACT E/W or 500 on the SAT writing
    Math - 21 on the ACT math or 500 on the SAT math
    Reading - 22 on the ACT reading or 500 on the SAT critical reading

Robbeh is right, in that you need a score of 500 minimum on each of the SAT sections to be admitted. Since you have an ACT score that's above the minimum, that shouldn't be a problem, as long as you submit your ACT scores and they are from an ACT w/ Writing Test. If your ACT scores aren't from a writing test, then they're useless for FSU.

Aside from that, you have a decent GPA, decent course rigor, and an okay ACT/SAT score. Add in a good amount of extra-curriculars and it's a decent bet that you'll get in.

I would however retake at least one of the two tests though and try to bump up your scores. A 24 in one section isn't necessarily bad, but it certainly doesn't help your application to have a 24 in two different ACT sections.

I would though apply to one of those other schools you said you were considering as your "safety" school. It doesn't hurt.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    I would also apply to UF. But the big question is what do you want to study?
  • TallalassieTallalassie - Posts: 538 Member
    Yoohoo, regeg where are you?

The big question is: "I wonder if regeg ever applied to FSU and got an admission decision Dec. 13th?"

regeg last checked in here Sept. 1st! regeg was probably already accepted at FSU and is relaxing now, and everyone else here is still going in circles like a dog chasing its own tail still giving him advice on how to get into FSU and where to go.
  • PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 2,000 Senior Member
    Haha, good point. I didn't even realize that this was an older thread on here.
This discussion has been closed.