FSU vs. UF for Computer Science
I'm a high school senior from Florida with the interest to go into computer programming and major in computer science. I have done a little research on both programs, but would like opinions from students and graduates about the programs and which one would offer the most benefit and translate into post-college jobs. Also, any tips about going into this major I would greatly appreciate.
Points of concern
1. ABET accreditation. I believe FSU's program has this, but UF's doesn't. Does this matter much for getting jobs or affect how good the program is?
2. Credits necessary to major- I heard UF requires some courses for this major that FSU doesn't that are basically a waste of time/weed out classes.
3. Funding at UF. I've heard that UF was thinking about making cuts to the CS program, not sure what has happened. Also, I've heard UF's CS programs operates under the engineering program while FSU's is it's own entity. Does this make a big difference.
4. Jobs. Which college would better prepare me for a job and would look better on a resume after college and during college for internships
Concerns about major
1. I'm tech savvy, but I don't know how to program at all. My friend told me about AP Computer Science, but I'm not in it and it's my senior year. I might possibly be able to get into it online at FLVS, but I'd have to drop a one semester AP Comp. Gov. class that is the 2nd semester. Is this AP CS class worth taking online at FLVS? Or should i try learning some stuff on my own. What language should i start with and how should I start learning?
Thank you for reading this, looking forward to some clarity.