Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Honors Program for Out of State

NewtownunitNewtownunit Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
I recently visited FSU and loved it, and had a chance to sit down with someone from the honors program and was very impressed. My test scores are very good, with a 740 on reading, 730 on writing, and a 650 in math (2120). My grades are really good, but when recalculated would about about 3.8-3.9, which seems a bit short. Can anyone give me some insight because I would really need the out of state tuition waiver to afford going here. Thanks.

Replies to: Honors Program for Out of State

• PasbalPasbal Registered User Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Unfortunately, a GPA that low is pretty unlikely for honors. The average is a 4.4 and I would guess that they would want roughly a 4.0 recalculated at a minimum.

You could always get in via petition (typically you'll want a 4.0 to 4.1 weighted GPA though) or lateral admission (a 3.8 GPA your first semester, with at least 12 credits) but if you are dependent on the tuition waiver I am not sure that you would want to hedge your bets.

The bright side is that if you apply to FSU by the October deadline, and get an admissions decision on the December date, you would know within a few days whether you were accepted to the Honors program without having to petition or anything.
  • NewtownunitNewtownunit Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Thanks for the information. He does have a weighted GPA of 4.0. So we'll see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.