Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

So who's applying to FSU for Fall 2008

Replies to: So who's applying to FSU for Fall 2008

• nycollegedadnycollegedad Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    welcome Wrte On!

I have been trying to get my son to login to cc. I think you have made a great choice with FSU. do you know what you may want to study. our son likes the real estate/finance program offered at fsu. not many schools offer a concentration in real estate and this is a major plus.

good luck!
  • jasmomjasmom Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    From upstate NY, d just got approved for dance audition at FSU. Go Noles!
  • rutgers 27rutgers 27 - Posts: 275 Junior Member
    I might apply. When is the early action deadline?

Either way I pretty much am set on going to Rutgers. It's cheaper for me and it's not too far.
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Welcome!

You've found the best free source of FSU information (well, ok - after the FSU website) on the web. :)
    here are the three application deadlines

Complete* Application Received By: Decision Available On:

October 10, 2007 November 28, 2007
    January 2, 2008 February 20, 2008
    February 13, 2008 April 2, 2008
    rutgers 27

i love your screen name. we are from new rochelle. our son went to school with ray rice, courtney greene and glen lee for two years. we saw ray play all through high school. he's a great kid who returns to new rochelle high school on a regular basis and speaks with the kids.

we really hope he wins the heisman this year. it will be tough but he's off to a great start (183 yards, 3 td's)
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,961 Senior Member
    Despite the application deadlines, it is extremely important to APPLY EARLY - as close to the start of the period as possible. This applies even if you have stellar qualifications.

FSU will close an application period when they believe they have enough qualified applicants. See the post about data mining - they know how good the pool is almost in real time and can predict who will enroll with very good accuracy.

Once you are admitted - this can be determined online - immediately go to the FSU Housing website and apply for housing. You will receive your priority number here and this will grade your access to on campus housing for the next four years.
  • skibirdskibird Registered User Posts: 279 Junior Member
    The number of students applying across the country to universities for Fall of 2008 is said to be the largest in about 20 years, due to the fact there was a slight baby boom in 1990. Even if you have great grades, test scores, etc., don't take anything for granted! Apply as soon as you can whether it is for FSU or any other institution of higher learning. After FSU and UF (in particular) get a certain number of apps (due to mining), the window of opportunity to apply for Fall 2008 will be closed!
  • Write OnWrite On Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    nycollegedad,

Thanks for the welcome! I've found that this site is very helpful (although there seem to be just as many if not more parents on this site as there are students...) for "insider" college information that doesn't quite make it to the Princeton Review website. FSU does have a great selection of concentrations and I'm glad to hear that your son is considering it!

I plan to major in English (Creative Writing) and double minor in Spanish and Theatre. After that, I want to go to to either University of California - Berkeley or Columbia University to get my Master's degree in Journalism.

Thanks for your input! Good luck to your son!
  • ToninoleToninole Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    POE - are you talking about FIT in NYC? My daughter originally wanted to attend the Fashion Inst and we actually flew from Seattle (where we lived at the time last August, now in Tampa) to NY to visit FIT and then on to Brown in RI. We loved the location of FIT, but the dorms were a little scary. The school itself is very well priced and you can't beat their housing costs considering location. HOwever, even though we are definitely city mice - we couldn't imagine our little one alone in NYC with us down in FL...

Luckily, she did a major paradigm shift a few months later after taking a Japanese class and now is doing a double major at FSU in east asian studies and int'l affairs.

GOod luck to you if you choose FSU - great school and I've heard the Fash Merch has great connections for graduates.
  • PoetreePoetree User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 75 Junior Member
    Toninole thanks much after reading your note I checked FIT and it is actually a state school, I thought it was a private.
    skibird family - i visited tampa. i did groove on the sense of community. and i loved the pool. the kids were so friendly and happy to be there. but fsu is better for me due to major and i love the idea of the sports and big campus traditions
  • ToninoleToninole Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Poetree:
    last little bit on FIT - we were surprised to learn in our visit that FIT is not only a state school, but was originally founded as a community college offering only 2 year degrees, but they now offer full Bachelor degrees as well as a master's program
  • skibirdskibird Registered User Posts: 279 Junior Member
    Poetree - We feel the same way. FSU is our d's 1st choice; and we gave her complete freedom to make it (we have visited soooo many colleges as a part of her decision process). The degree and minor she's looking for are available at either school. But FSU is the best fit for her. She loves everything about FSU and the fact that it is different from the rest of Florida (vegetation, land not completely flat, variety in architecture, four seasons, etc.) is huge.
    FSU was so welcoming -everything about it -from the setting and the buildings ---to our tour guide and students we met (mainly kids who had ptime jobs in the restaurants we ate at........oh yeah and the staff we met 2 adcoms and both seemed to show genuine interest in me. and the current students on cc seem like people i hope i can hang out with
This discussion has been closed.