Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Will I get accepted to FSU?

natsuakinatsuaki Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited May 2010 in Florida State University
Hey everyone.
I'm a junior now and a Florida-native currently living in Asia (father's job). My GPA is 3.7 unweighted as we don't weigh GPAs at my school, but my whole junior year I have taken all IB classes. My ACT score was 29 (I only got one wrong on the writing section, lol, but I got a 23 on the math section) and my SAT was 2020 (CR: 690, M: 620, W: 710). I plan on taking two SAT II's next year, in Japanese (I got 650 on a practice test) and World History. I participated in my school's AP World History Club last year (we don't offer AP classes) which met after school and on weekends and got a 4 on the exam. I volunteer weekly with my school's Pre-K class and volunteered in 1st grade last year. I've been on my school's varsity volleyball team since I was a freshman and participated in Model United Nations this past November. I've been on the yearbook staff since my freshman year and I tutor two elementary girls in English twice a week and teach a middle-aged woman English on Sundays. I was inducted to NHS this year and received Outstanding Achievement in English, History and Technology last year. I think that's about all I've done, haha. Please let me know what you think my chances are of getting in. Thank you!
Post edited by natsuaki on

Replies to: Will I get accepted to FSU?

• parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    Good chance. Apply EARLY(this means as soon as the application cycle opens in August).
  • natsuakinatsuaki Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Thank you for your input! I was wondering, why is early application better than normal?
  • satscholarsatscholar Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    NO chance of NOT getting in ^_^

Good luck natsuaki!
  • torioreotorioreo Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Woohoo! Another overseas high schooler :)
    Thank you, satscholar!

and yay torioreo! where do you live? :)
  • parent2nolesparent2noles Registered User Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    Applying early helps with your admission chances and for whatever other benefits you may receive. Late applications practically guarantee you'll be passed over.
  • jlsperlingjlsperling Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    You pretty much have a 100% of getting in. Definitely use as a backup, and maybe apply to university of florida as well...better school
  • DnerdDnerd Registered User Posts: 1,105 Senior Member
    "better school"

Really...? I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but you already know what statements like this lead to.
  • Matt125Matt125 Registered User Posts: 762 Member
    jlsperling wrote:
    You pretty much have a 100% of getting in. Definitely use as a backup, and maybe apply to university of florida as well...better school

I would like two minutes for rebuttal, but at the risk of completely derailing this thread, I will refrain from doing so. Please stay out of the Florida State forum with your garbage.

At Nassuaki:
    Your numbers pretty much guarantee that you will be offered admittance, but applying early gives you a much better shot at scholarships and honors. Plus, if you apply after the middle of October, you won't get your decision until March, and you will get a crappy housing priority number.
  • torioreotorioreo Registered User Posts: 304 Member
    Germany! :)

Yes, definitely apply for the first deadline--I applied second deadline, because at first, I thought I'd get into UF, but then gave it some more thought and decided to apply to FSU (because I'd heard good things about it), and finally UCF as a backup (didn't really want to go there, but it was a good backup school). Turns out, I got rejected from UF, accepted to UCF, and on March 17, accepted to FSU! I immediately put in housing, literally right after I found out my acceptance (I checked 2 hours earlier by looking at my tuition deposit $$ due, and found out) and got a housing priority number of 5159!! I was pretty upset, but it was because I hadn't applied first round and had a chance to get better numbers. Luckily, I applied to living learning community and got into the one I liked the most, so I get a nice dorm :) Ohoh, and definitely get into FSU honors...your ACT and SAT scores are high enough! If they don't send you an invite, petition!! That's what I did, and I got in! All in all, it was great that I got denied from UF, because now I have an FSU LLC and Honors! If I still want to be a vet, I'll have to transfer there, but we'll see if I still change my mind in the next 4 years ;)

Oh, and some more advice! Check out the scholarships that are offered on base (you go to school on a base, right? or international?) Either way, there are plenty of scholarships to apply to! and you're a Florida-native, so definitely apply for Bright Futures; you'll get the highest award! I've won $4000 in local scholarships and Bright Futures is a little over $4000 towards tuition per year (85% of tuition for the highest award), and FSU will give you aid! I have more money than my first year requires, and apparently (I didn't find this out until I asked the question here a few days ago) the extra money gets deposited into your bank account! How awesome is that?! Good luck, and hope to see you next year!! :)
    Thanks for the opinions and advice everyone! I'll definitely apply early. sorry to ask a seemingly obvious question haha, but what exactly does having honors mean?

Torioreo- I'm at an international school in Japan, so no base scholarships here, but I'll be applying for Bright Futures when we move back. Congrats on getting in and on the scholarships :)
  • satscholarsatscholar Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    @natsuaki

I expect this whole board to be fluent in Japanese by the time you arrive at FSU

Gotta teach us Japanese, Tomodachi

:)
    satscholar, I'd be happy to teach you Japanese :)

another question:
    I would love to do a double major in Literature and Film, but I know FSU's film program is both outstanding and highly competitive. I know I may not get in because of my lack of experience (everything I've done has been school-related) but I was wondering if my SAT and ACT scores could save me? :) thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.