Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

In-State transfer student question(s)

gfountain1gfountain1 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Florida State University
I'm an undergraduate student at a state college in Florida and would like to hear some feedback/opinions from others on my chances of being accepted into FSU as a Psychology major.

A little about me, I was raised in private schools up until high school. Straight A student until my sophomore year where I began goofing off and letting my GPA fall to the point where I almost didn't graduate. My GPA upon graduation was a 2.2.

Now, 3 years later, I've matured since then and grown up, I am currently holding a 3.7 (roughly) in getting my general A.A. If I continue to uphold this GPA and obtain my degree, what are the chances I will be accepted(Fall 2011)?

Will FSU be interested in my H.S. grades since I will have my degree?

Volunteer Work:
-Airman Sponsor, Special Olympics 2008
-Habitat for Humanity 2008
-Airman volunteer Keesler AFB Air Show "Kids Day" 2008

Thank you!
Post edited by gfountain1 on

Replies to: In-State transfer student question(s)

• sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Registered User Posts: 4,790 Senior Member
    Junior/Senior-Level Applicants

Junior and senior applicants (60 or more semester hours of transferable credit as determined by the Office of Admissions) must:

* Have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative grade point average (GPA) on all college work attempted;
    * Have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA on all college work attempted at the last institution;
    * Meet the state of Florida's foreign language admission requirement;
    * Satisfy the Florida College-Level Academic Skills requirement; and
    * Meet the requirements for admission to the major/program of interest.

Freshman/Sophomore-Level Applicants

Freshman and sophomore applicants (12-59 semester hours of transferable credit as determined by the Office of Admissions) must:

* Meet freshman admission criteria;
    * Have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative GPA on all college work attempted;
    * Have at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA on all college work attempted at the last institution;
    * Satisfy the Florida College-Level Academic Skills requirement; and
    * Meet the requirements for admission to the major/program of interest.

If you have your AA, you do not need to meet freshman criteria and your state college transcript will stand on its own, although you will have to provide your HS transcript. Just be sure you have all the prerequisites and are ON MAP for psych, as it is a LIMITED ACCESS major. FSU Undergraduate Academic Program Guide
    Psychology is a limited-access major. To be admitted into Psychology, you must have completed at least 52 hours, have earned a “C-“ or better in each of the Admission Prerequisite Courses (PSY2012, a general biology course, & statistics), and have an overall GPA of 2.8.
  • gfountain1gfountain1 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    I've been looking into these, I appreciate the insight. All of my PSY, MAT, and ENC courses will be completed by the end of summer which will be a sigh of relief.

Applying as early in April as I can for the fall should be an obvious solution to increasing my chances?
  • sunnyfloridasunnyflorida Registered User Posts: 4,790 Senior Member
    To be honest, for transfers, there may not be an advantage to applying early. It can't help, but it is not like freshman admission where they are admitting the masses. With transfer admission, the appropriate department is involved and they have the luxury of waiting to see more/all applications before deciding. Get it in early, but be prepared to wait for a decision.
This discussion has been closed.