right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Becoming a Language Teacher

2»

Replies to: Becoming a Language Teacher

• LangoidLangoid 21 replies9 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Is there a high-demand for French teachers? Classics is probably not the “practical” major but if I do major in Classics I was hoping to make a practical degree out of French.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41555 replies447 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited February 22
    Not "high demand", but it's still very important in blue ribbon/upper middle class public schools in the Midwest and East Coast and especially private/day/boarding schools. Hence the NESCAC recommendation ("signaling" and networks will be important for such positions). Because Spanish is often chosen as a "default", French is a choice, which means students who may have different perceptions of language learning. (Then again, there's just one AP French exam at B1/1+ level, v. Spanish which has two APs, one at B1 and one at B2 level. But you'll find very few excellent schools that don't offer French. The difficulty will be in securing a position there, hence "signaling" through the college you choose).

Note that the AP French exam is NOT literature but follows ACTFL guidelines for 5 skill language teaching (communities, cultural analysis, etc. as well as ability to read/write/speak/understand/mediate). Try to take classes either through dual enrollment or through summer programs to solidify your early knowledge and start working on all skills.
    Typical books for that level would include _Kif Kiffe demain_, for instance; watching Plus Belle La Vie and short (2'30 or so) news reports from France 2 or France 3; reading Le Parisien/Aujourd'hui en France... You might try reading How the French think; the Bonjour Effect...
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share
    Do you think I could find a job in teaching French?

And I know—the College Board cut out the AP French Literature syllabus in 2008. I’ve taken a look at the AP French syllabus, and I am seriously considering it. I’m going to talk to the French teacher who used to teach it, and see what she says.

I feel like I can communicate effectively in French though culture is something I would have to study in depth.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 22
    And some of the things it asks you to do on the exam I have done in real life. I’ve written emails to different people, I communicate, I read and answer questions, listen to spoken French. Culture is where I’d fall though.

I used Assimil to learn French (both French with Ease and Using French) and although it contained cultural notes, I don’t feel that it is enough to compare cultures. My Spanish class on the other hand does this well—our textbook is called “Entre Culturas” and means “Between Cultures.” A French version has been created called “Entre Cultures,” but these books aren’t too good for autodidacts. School textbooks are something I generally like to steer away from when I teach myself and use something more accessible like Assimil, Teach Yourself, or Berlitz.
    edited February 22
    · Reply · Share