right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

General Advice on Foreign Schools.

Replies to: General Advice on Foreign Schools.

• braty_gurl004braty_gurl004 4 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I hv heard tat not all degrees given in foreign medical schools are recognised in the US..does any1 know which countries give u a degree which is recognised in the US so that u can practice there?
    · Reply · Share
  • Lo1603Lo1603 180 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    As far as medical schools in England it is very difficult to attend if you are not a citizen of the country. The reason is due to the fact that medical schools in England are relatively cheap because the state pays for most of it. As a result English medical schools will not accept an American student who will simply pick up and leave right after medical school.
    · Reply · Share
  • MagsMomMagsMom 168 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    In order to be licensed to practice medicine you have to have attended an approved school - the schools that are approved in the US are listed here:

http://imed.ecfmg.org/

Some states have other requirements as well. California and Texas tend to have more restrictions on graduates of foreign medical schools -
    · Reply · Share
  • MagsMomMagsMom 168 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 177 Junior Member
    Also, this list is established through ECFMG - Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.

If you graduate from a foreign medical school and want to practice in the US you must go through ECFMG to take your exams and be licensed.
    · Reply · Share
  • CC AdminCC Admin 29515 replies2964 discussionsAdministrator Posts: 32,479 Senior Member
    "I am planning on going to an international medical school if I don't get accepted to a medical school in America. I was wondering though, if I graduate from a university in America would I have to retake all of those courses in an international school? The first post said that it would take 6-7 years so does that mean I have to do everything over again and start from the beginning?"

I have the same question. In most foreign schools, the Pre-med and medical programs are joint, and you start them right after high school. But if I do the Pre-med undergraduate program in the US and then decide to go international (because i dont get into a med school in the us) will that mean that I re-take everything??

(im an intl student by the way)

plz help. thanks in advance
    · Reply · Share
  • bruno123bruno123 1349 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,390 Senior Member
    FcNannyUnited: The University of Cambridge in the UK has an accelerated 4-year medical degree available for students who already hold a bachelor's degree. Unfortunately though, admission to that program is open only to UK or European Union (EU) graduates. In other words, if you come from the US, you will probably have to apply to the regular 6-year program like other local students who have just finished the European equivalent to High School. Other top medical schools in the UK like Oxford or Imperial also have similar
    accelerated 4 or 5-year programs for graduates in select scientific majors but I am not sure what their admission policies are, so you might want to check that information directly with the universities. A few useful sites are listed below.

Cambridge: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/index.html

Oxford: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/

Imperial: http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/teaching/undergraduate/medicine/admissions/requirements/
    · Reply · Share
  • guitars_girlsguitars_girls 166 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    i know there one in poland with FD univ. its only for brits and americans (mostly) and is a combined degree program too -no MCATS YAy!!
    · Reply · Share
  • GodzillaBorlandGodzillaBorland 36 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I would like some info for HS seniors studying in California regarding medical programs in India such as Ramachandra. Any advantages for a US student apart from being able to pay in US$ ?
    · Reply · Share
  • chimera63chimera63 25 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    pretty much yes. the degrees obtained in the us are not recognised in india and vice versa. you will have to give a test known as pmt(pre medical test) along with 1000000 other applicants nationwide in india. it's better to study in the us. try germany. it's really good
    · Reply · Share
  • waleedk87waleedk87 835 replies53 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 888 Member
    are there any english medium colleges in Germany? I know the language, but i think its a bit weird studying in german if you have had english textbooks all your life.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike 11870 replies94 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
  • somemomsomemom 10790 replies321 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,111 Senior Member
    Do any of you have any experience with:

A} Can an American attend Med School in Canada?
    B} Can a graduate of a Canadian MEd school practice in the US
    C} Can a graduate of a US med school practice in the US
    · Reply · Share
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike 11870 replies94 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    2.) Yes, it's possible. One would have to do a residency in the United States, and it might be -- notice the uncertainty -- more difficult to apply for such a residency coming out of a non-US school.

3.) Yes, of course. What?
    · Reply · Share
  • somemomsomemom 10790 replies321 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,111 Senior Member
    oops, I meant can a graduate of a US school practice in Canada? :rolleyes:
    · Reply · Share
  • cupcakecupcake 1688 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
    As far as medical schools in England it is very difficult to attend if you are not a citizen of the country. The reason is due to the fact that medical schools in England are relatively cheap because the state pays for most of it. As a result English medical schools will not accept an American student who will simply pick up and leave right after medical school.

Relatively cheap for HOME students only (that is EU residents). As an 'overseas' student you pay 20x the price to subsidise the home students. that's the way it works. The 'state' of Great Britain pays nowt for you (though you do get all the general perks of being a student in the UK while studying, such as free health care and a work permit of course).

All UK medical schools have a quota for overseas students which usually amounts to no more than 6-7 students per year per school. This is why Americans are not very likely to get in (in fact I have never ever met an American medical student here). The UK National Health Service has to have enough Drs to fill it's posts and only when these places are filled are overseas students admitted (as Lo1603 hinted above).

Also, if you want to practise medicine in the US you will have to take lots of tests again (I'm not a medic so don't ask me which ones) whereas students from most Commonwealth countries will just be accepted as trained Drs back home no problem. So I think this is another factor which makes training in the UK more difficult for Americans. Plus you will be competing with students from countries such as Singapore which have a (High School) education system which is quite similar to the UK (in theory) and are hence probably better prepared for interviews and the application process.

Medicine is a 6 year undergraduate course in the UK too (or 4 year intensive for Eu only, as discussed above).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity